Gape worm??

Now
You may want to press out some pus that is probably around her eye as well. If you find Tylan 50 injectable at your feed store in the cattle medicines, you can give it orally 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound 3 times a day. If she weighs 5 pounds, that is a dose of 1.25 ml.

Have you added any new birds recently? Have any others been sneezing or having noisy breathing?
Now that you mention it yes. My rooster that I added roughly a month and a half to two months ago had "cold like" symptoms and his crow sounded off. After quarantining him until he seemed normal and his crow seemed normal again, I let him back with the others....and a pullet of mine also has been acting off....a bit lethargic. I wonder if the rooster that I added brought this with him? 😩

So I'm looking online and it says that culling is the only treatment to stop the spread and that they will carry it for life.? Is this true?

So I'm looking online and it says that culling is the only treatment to stop the spread and that they will carry it for life.? Is this true?
Yes, it's true.
You can maintain a closed flock. No new birds in, no birds out. No eggs given away or sold to be hatched because MG can be transmitted via eggs. The eggs are safe to eat. When using antibiotics, there may be an egg withdrawal period for whatever meds are used.
Antibiotics will treat symptoms but not cure the disease. Your birds will be carriers for life. You must maintain strict biosecurity with your flock.

Yes, it's true.
You can maintain a closed flock. No new birds in, no birds out. No eggs given away or sold to be hatched because MG can be transmitted via eggs. The eggs are safe to eat. When using antibiotics, there may be an egg withdrawal period for whatever meds are used.
Antibiotics will treat symptoms but not cure the disease. Your birds will be carriers for life. You must maintain strict biosecurity with your flock.
This is very upsetting news.
So, even the currently non-symptomatic birds likely have this then?

Yes, it's true.
Thank you for varifying this. It explains a lot. I had gotten birds from this breeder before. Four silkies. One had died after exibiting off behaviors. It was young and the others were fine and have been fine for almost a year now. Then I got this rooster who had also shown similar symptoms to the last, but quickly seemed to get better and has been acting fine for weeks...it's very sad news.

Yes, it is sad that the new rooster may have brought in MG. That is typically how people bring in illnesses. It is a chronic infection. They may get over symptoms with antibiotics, but the whole flock can become carriers for life even if they don’t show symptoms. If you ever lose a chicken, I would let your state vet do a necropsy where they can test for and confirm MG. Tylan or tylosin works pretty well for symptoms. Denagard is another one that some use. It is good not to treat all of your birds, but only treat one if they get symptoms. I would close the flock to any birds ever going out of your flock. MG can pass through hatching eggs as well. Once all of your chickens have died off some day, then you can get new healthy chicks from a hatchery waiting at least 3 days, but better to wait for a few weeks, after all birds are gone. Most people do not cull, but close their flocks. Here is a good article about MG to read:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

She is not great. She's now developed this. She's active and eating and drinking but this is concerning. She's also still coughing?? Though not gaping
That’s coccidiosis. The puffed up cheeks around the eyes and the draining of the eyes, sneezing and coughing. Coccidiosis.

That’s coccidiosis. The puffed up cheeks around the eyes and the draining of the eyes, sneezing and coughing. Coccidiosis.
Bubbles in the eyes, facial swelling is not Coccidiosis. Coccidiosis is a protozoa that affects the intestines, it's not a respiratory disease.
As suggested from previous posts in this thread, the bird is suffering from respiratory infection, likely Mycoplasma.

The thread is from February of this year, hopefully the OP can give an update on how their flock is getting along.

Back
Top Bottom