Gape worm??

Cierrascoop

Songster
Sep 24, 2022
I went out today and found my olive egger, ash, making crazy noises, while straining her neck in odd ways. Her mouth is constantly open. She seems to make an odd almost hissing noise at times. But is also making these high pitched almost sneezing noises and shaking her head. I cannot post a video or I would. However I've described it to the best of my ability. I'm not sure what I should do. In between these spells she's puffed up, off by herself. Does this sound like gape worm? If so how should I treat her?

How is she doing now?

Perhaps she got a piece of food stuck in her throat?

For video, upload to youtube and provide a link.

Where are you located in the world? Gapeworm is not that common, so I'd monitor her for a little while, do check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight as well.

I treated them all for worms. This is her today

Attachments

• IMG_2023-02-13-16-45-11-783.jpg
    IMG_2023-02-13-16-45-11-783.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 27
How is she doing now?

Perhaps she got a piece of food stuck in her throat?

For video, upload to youtube and provide a link.

Where are you located in the world? Gapeworm is not that common, so I'd monitor her for a little while, do check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight as well.
She is not great. She's now developed this. She's active and eating and drinking but this is concerning. She's also still coughing?? Though not gaping

Attachments

• IMG_2023-02-13-16-45-07-689.jpg
    IMG_2023-02-13-16-45-07-689.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 28
I caught her and have seperated her from the flock. She's now crated. Her comb is more red then normal.

You may want to press out some pus that is probably around her eye as well. If you find Tylan 50 injectable at your feed store in the cattle medicines, you can give it orally 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound 3 times a day. If she weighs 5 pounds, that is a dose of 1.25 ml.

Have you added any new birds recently? Have any others been sneezing or having noisy breathing?

The foamy eye and swelling can be a sign of mycoplasma or MG. Get some Tylan 50, Tylosin powder, or oxytetracycline and treat her. Clean the eye with saline or eye wash, and apply a dab of either Terrathank u.
You may want to press out some pus that is probably around her eye as well. If you find Tylan 50 injectable at your feed store in the cattle medicines, you can give it orally 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound 3 times a day. If she weighs 5 pounds, that is a dose of 1.25 ml.
Thank you. What is this caused by and can this cause her odd noises and coughing noises as well? I will look online now. Would it be befeficial to treat the entire flock?

Back
Top Bottom