Hen making obstruction noise- egg bound?

Kaiyafitness

Chirping
Apr 17, 2021
Hi everyone,

I have a pure bred Silkie hen who is about 9 months old who started laying about a month ago but is not a frequent layer- all my chickens have dropped off laying currently.

A week ago I noticed she was making these noises of discomfort and would do it for about 10 seconds and looked as if she was trying to poo, then would stop for a while and do this again. Her vent was also swollen and had a greenish tinge and only small runny poos were coming out at a time. Upon research I treated her as if she was egg bound, since then she has been having Epsom salt baths once a day, including cleaning her vent and dirty feathers Incase of infection then applied an antibiotic cream. I have been giving her olive oil, and also put lube into the vent but nothing has changed, it has been almost a week now and if she was egg bound I assume she would have passed and gone into shock? She is eating a variety of foods like her layer pellets, watermelon, bananas and rice.

She walks and runs normally, eats normally, drinks normally, shows no signs of pain or discomfort when I bathe her and feel around her abdomen, only when I try clean the vent she sometimes reacts. The only off moments she has is when she makes these noises and appears as if she is trying to poo, but the frequency of these noises is increasing by the day.

I have attached an image of the vent and do have a video of the noises but I’m unable to upload but can email if you provide me with an address.

She has recently been wormed with a good quality wormer from my vet.

Please could someone guide me in the right direction of what I can do to try to help my hen or what may be wrong. She is such a beautiful hen and I hate to see her in this discomfort.

Thanks so much in advance!

Attachments

• 071A3945-B4F9-4186-B587-F5AB63C80030.jpeg
    071A3945-B4F9-4186-B587-F5AB63C80030.jpeg
    371.9 KB · Views: 28
Note that the vent has consistently stayed with that green tinge around it- she had a bath a couple hours ago and this was thoroughly cleaned with antiseptic and soap then an antibiotic ointment went on after- it looks like this after being freshly washes

:hmm This is very strange. It doesn't appear to be anything. Can you feed her a bunch of cooked oatmeal? Is she looking sick or uncomfortable?

I would give her mushy chicken feed or dry, not oatmeal. The balanced chicken feed is all she needs, and straight oats are not good. I would suspect a reproductive disorder since she is a new layer in her first year, and she is not broody, but has stopped laying. Calcium citrate with vitamin d is a good idea, at least for 3 days, to see if it helps. Many times we cannot know what is going on without a vet or after death when a necropsy is done. Hopefully, she will perk up soon.

Back
Top Bottom