Gape Worms - How to treat

HenPecked_bychildren

Songster
10 Years
Feb 24, 2010
SW Florida
We have about 20 hens. One of them is gurgling and doing the mouth thing. Looks like she is trying to crow, only no crowing. I hate to lose her, she is just about laying age. We lost a rooster a couple months ago, he had similar symptoms and then just fell over dead one day.

So I am pretty sure it's gape worm, how do I treat? Do I need to order online, or is there something I can get at tractor supply?

Please include a link to where I can buy something if I need to shop online. Need to do this ASAP!

I thought I saw somewhere on here that you can use safeguard equine paste(a pea size amount per bird). That is a lot cheaper.

Also someone somewhere said Ivercare which is a ivermectin equine pasta also. This post said .005m per bird. How the heck much is that?

Both of those are less than $10. The ivermectin is $37.99 for way more than I need.

Quote:
x2
You will have to dose several times 10 days apart. Gapes and tapes are tough to get rid of.

hiya,dont know if you remember speakingto me the other day,about my chicken,with poosible gapeworm,??can i ask your advice dawg,what is the best wormer as i want to worm all 11 of my chickens,the vet told me to get flubenvet,which you put in there feed,but its making sure they all get there share.im from the uk,so not sure what wormers there is here.had a look and all it brings up is the flubenvet and vermx.xx

Quote:
x2
You will have to dose several times 10 days apart. Gapes and tapes are tough to get rid of.

hiya,dont know if you remember speakingto me the other day,about my chicken,with poosible gapeworm,??can i ask your advice dawg,what is the best wormer as i want to worm all 11 of my chickens,the vet told me to get flubenvet,which you put in there feed,but its making sure they all get there share.im from the uk,so not sure what wormers there is here.had a look and all it brings up is the flubenvet and vermx.xx

I recommend that you follow your vets directions and use flubenvet. It will get rid of most types of worms including gapeworm. Do NOT use vermx.

Quote:

I recommend that you follow your vets directions and use flubenvet. It will get rid of most types of worms including gapeworm. Do NOT use vermx.

yeah i wasnt going to use vermx.from what ive read it doesnt cover gapeworm,just worrying abit as i wantto make sure they all get there share of flubenvet.i dont even know what strength to buy ,is a chicken well roo with a sneeze and runny nose could that be a sign of gapeworm aswell??as my other roo has this,the one you wrote to me about before,is totally fine today,hes not done the gaping thing once,and has reallygot his spring back,so fingers crossed what the vet gave him has worked,xx

Back
Top Bottom