Gapeworm and Treatment?

Ga Chicken Mom

Songster
12 Years
Jul 24, 2007
Sally, 10 month old BR pullet, is starting to gasp again. She presented with this problem last week. I separated her from the flock and keep her warm and well fed. She seemed to recover but is once again throwing her head forward and opening her beak when she breathes. There is no discharge from her nostrils or mouth. No change in her eyes, weight or appearance. Her appetite is good and poo looks fine. The flock gets organic layer feed free choice, and treats every day of greens, yogurt, cheese etc. Sally is the only girl with this problem. I'm starting to think she has gapeworm. I can't see anything in her mouth or throat - looks the same as the other girls to me. I know levamisole or thiabendazole is used to treat. If I can find the meds, what is the route of administration, dosage and withdrawal period? Should I treat everyone? Sounds like gapeworm can be passed directly. How can I be sure she has gapeworm? Help, please, if anyone has had any experience with this.

Thanks, Cuda, but when I go to your site and click on thiabendazole or levamisole I get a message that I have to log in to edit. ?????

Some pages haven't been completed on the wiki I am working on, I apologize for that, but it is a work in process. Thanks.

Hey chikndave, Sally has been dosed with Ivomec Eprinex 2xs now. I applied .25ml between her shoulder blades on Sat. She showed no signs of improvement and, in fact, was not eating and becoming very depressed. Since Sally has never had any symptoms other than throwing her head forward and gaping, I put her back with the rest of the flock yesterday. She picked up a little and ate greens and a little laying crumbles. Today she looked very tired, didn't eat much and is still gaping. I talked on the phone with a vet who takes care of farm animals. He told me to dose her again with the Ivomec. Sally is back in isolation again and resting. According to a chicken site I found with a reference to gapeworm the topical Ivomec should be effective. If you have any suggestions, please help as I don't know what else to do for her.

Actually, I don't believe the topical will work. To work properly on gape worms, it needs to get into the throat directly. Gapes are a weird little worm, and you have to get the wormer in contact with them for it to work effectively from my experience. I have has some success with wormszol too. Good luck!

I got panacur ( fenbendazole) from my vet. It is an oral wormer. I didn't use it because Sally is having trouble swallowing. I've given her pediolyte several times to keep her hydrated and really had trouble getting it into her. When she gets stressed she starts gaping more and her comb and wattles get bluish. I'm concerned that she will aspirate an oral wormer. I used the topical ivermectin since it was recommended on another site and it is supposed to be effective against a lot of different worms including gapeworm. If it doesn't work after the second dose, I'll have to try something else, if poor Sally makes it that long. Is wormszol a brand name?

Are you sure its gapeworms..They are actually rare in chickens, more common in ringneck pheasants..gapeworms grow fast, after a week of being infected they practiclly close the trachea causing the bird to make grunting sounds, after two weeks the bird usually suffocates...The old method of treatment was to daub a feather or Q-tip in the trachea that was dipped in kerosene.
Ivomect is somewhat useful if blood concentrations are high enough..Levamisole, Valbazen and safeguard only seems effective for the migrating stage between the gut and lungs

I have been burning up the internet trying to figure out what is wrong with Sally. The only thing that fits her symptoms is gapeworm. No discharge from nostrils or beak, nothing wrong with her eyes, throwing her head forward and gaping. She has been having symptoms for awhile now. She is about the same since I wormed her last Sat. Perhaps the Ivermectin is helping some. What else could be wrong with her? Her crop is OK, not as full as I would like but she does eat some and I can feel her crop fill then empty. She is definitly having trouble swallowing and even breathing when she is stressed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom