Gapeworm in my chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flyballgirl, Aug 11, 2013.

1. flyballgirl

flyballgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    It is becoming more likely that my chicken has gapeworm (the antibiotics don't seem to be working - she does not seem either better or worse) and the suggested remedy is Ivermectin. I am having trouble finding this in stores or online. Is it possible that anyone in the Richmond VA area would have some I could buy or borrow or that anyone can tell me where I can get it? I have found the medicine for other species but was told not to use it unless it is labeled for chickens. Any comments on this would be appreciated :)
    Thanks!!

2. dwalters

dwalters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    I thought u could use for horses. Like a pea size drop. Never done it tho, so just a suggestion for something to look into.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Gapeworm can be treated with fenbendazole 10% (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste) at 20mg/kg (.2ml pr 2.2 pounds) for three days in a row.

Source:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6750887

Efficacy of fenbendazole against helminth parasites of poultry in Uganda.

Ssenyonga GS.

Abstract

Fenbendazole 4% (Panacur, Hoechst) administered in feed was used to treat chickens infected with Ascaridia galli, Heterakis gallinarum and Railletina spp. It was also used to treat Syngamus trachea in broiler birds. There was a marked drop in helminth egg counts in the faeces on the second day of treatment and the faeces became negative by the seventh day after the last treatment. Post-mortem examination 15 to 21 days later showed that the drug was 100% effective against Ascaridia galli and Heterakis gallinarum at 10 mg/kg. However, for complete removal of Railletina spp. 15 mg/kg was required. Similarly 20 mg/kg fenbendazole was effective against Syngamus trachea. It was concluded that fenbendazole is suitable for the treatment of the important intestinal and tracheal worms of poultry, a dose of 15 to 20 mg/kg for 3 consecutive days being recommended for use under field conditions.
    PMID:
    [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

-Kathy

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Ivermectin can be safely used in poultry, but there is a study that says it's not very effective. Most feedstores will have Safeguard, Ivermectin, etc. located in the horse, cattle and goat sections. The only "chicken" wormer you'll find is Wazine, but it only kills roundworms.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Safeguard/Panacur info:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by