Gapeworm not responding to Safe-Guard in chicks

Would this have too much extra stuff in it? Their other Tylan products are not in stock.
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylodox-100g-medpet/
That is why I suggested the one from Foys. Both Tylosin and doxycycline are drugs that may treat MG or mycoplasma. I just don’t know if the dosage they give for pigeons is the same a for chickens. Some do use that on their own. You can also get just plain doxycycline as well. The big container of Tylan will last a long time, since dosage is 1 tsp or 5 grams per gallon of water for 3-5 days.

@Eggcessive I ordered the big thing of Tylan from Foy's as well as the antifungal. I'm surprised at the Tylan dosage though. The vet has me putting 4 teaspoons per 1 gallon of water??? Is this crazy, or is it possible he's giving us a different strength? The bottle doesn't say how many grams of medication it is. It just says:

"Tylan powder per teaspoon (4 each)
Add all the powder to a 1 Gallon jug of water. Distribute to all the chickens."

They have been selling me a tiny bottle with 4 teaspoons in it for $20 each. He was very clear with me to add the entire bottle to one gallon of water when we spoke in person as well, so I'm sure I'm not misunderstanding him. Just wondering if he is waaayyyy over-medicating my babies.

Well, he would have to answer the question, but the dosage most people use is 1 tsp (or 5 grams) per gallon. It has to be figured out in grams since it is a cattle medicine usually mixed in large stock tanks. On some of the pigeon sites they say to use 2 tsp per gallon. One thing about a sick chicken is that they don’t drink enough water. So, it would be hard to overdose even at 4 tsp per gallon. Your vet sounds like they are really overcharging you. The water is supposed to be changed and made fresh every 3 days. Always mix it by adding the water to the powder, or it will not mix easily.

@Eggcessive Thanks so much for the dosing information. I hope the new stuff gets here quick.

Dinkle is much worse today and it seems that Bo as started to get worse again too. Her breathing is fine, but energy is way low and not eating or drinking much, :( I wonder if it's because the Tylan is too many days old after having been mixed.

I can't believe the vet didn't tell me to mix a fresh batch every 3 days. In fact he said the opposite. He gave me enough for one gallon and told me they needed to be on it 2 weeks maybe more, so I asked if I could have more Tylan. He looked surprised and asked how long it takes for them to go through a gallon of water. I've got 7 small ones with 3 water dishes and I change their water daily, so it takes around 3 days to go through a gallon. He said "well let's try to be more smart about the water in the future. They should not go through that much water so fast." So he wanted me to make a single gallon of pre-mixed Tylan last as long as possible, maybe even 2 weeks??

And yeah, they are seriously price gouging me here. I am so frustrated. This kind of crap is why I didn't want to go to a vet in the first place. I just don't trust that they actually know what they are doing, especially with chickens.

EMERGENCY:

Dinkle is doing the worst I have seen her. I am worried she will not make it through the night. I am wondering if she asperated water yesterday when I tried to flush out the plaque??? She was doing okay but made a turn for the worst very quickly over the course of today and now she is very limp and not very responsive. I notice that her crop seems a little squishy but don't know if that's abnormal or just regular fluid?

She looks really bad. I don't think she's going to make it through the night :( She won't hardly take water. If anyone has any last ditch efforts I am willing to give it a shot. I don't understand how she was running around eating with everyone yesterday and now 24 hours later she is dying????? This is so sad. I've been trying so hard with these little guys

EMERGENCY:

Dinkle is doing the worst I have seen her. I am worried she will not make it through the night. I am wondering if she asperated water yesterday when I tried to flush out the plaque??? She was doing okay but made a turn for the worst very quickly over the course of today and now she is very limp and not very responsive. I notice that her crop seems a little squishy but don't know if that's abnormal or just regular fluid?

She looks really bad. I don't think she's going to make it through the night :( She won't hardly take water. If anyone has any last ditch efforts I am willing to give it a shot. I don't understand how she was running around eating with everyone yesterday and now 24 hours later she is dying????? This is so sad. I've been trying so hard with these little guys
:hugs How is she?

Is she still alive this morning? I would not try to flush out the plaque. I would only offer water and let her sip it herself from a spoon to the side of the beak or dipping her beak for a second in her water.

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

Dinkle didn't make it through the night. I had dreams about her making a miraculous recovery over and over again. It kills me. She was doing the best when everyone else was sick a week ago. She only started having that weird swelling a few days ago and now suddenly she is dead.

I don't know if it was my fault and she aspirated from trying to wash out the plaque or if it was something else. Her and Bo's crops were both squishy last night so I took away their food and replaced it with yogurt just in case I had missed a case of sour crop. Bo's crop was flat this morning, but I can't tell if there's much change in her energy level. She doesn't look worse, so I'll keep her on scrambled eggs and yogurt for the rest of the day just in case.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do while I'm waiting for the anti-fungal to come in. And thank you all again for all your help.

Rest in peace little Dinkle. We loved you buddy.

Back
Top Bottom