Gapeworm not responding to Safe-Guard in chicks

Pics

mmr1443

Chirping
Oct 25, 2020
I have 7 chicks ages ranging from 4-8 weeks old that I bought about 10 days ago. This is my first time with baby chicks. I have an older flock I inherited that I've been caring for for a while. I didn't do my research and bought them from a bad breeder and they already had several illnesses when we bought them. We made it through coccidiosis and conjunctivitis, but are struggling to kick gapeworm.

Now that I know what the symptoms are, it is apparent to me that 2 of them had it already when we bought them. We have kept them inside exclusively and been fastidious about cleanliness in their cages (because of the coccidiosis), but it has seemingly spread to all 7 now, in varying degrees of severity.

I bought Safe-guard paste two days ago and did my best to give all of them a half of a pea-sized amount, as recommended dosage for an adult bird is a pea-sized amount. It's hard though as the paste is sticky and they don't like it much and fling a good bit out of their mouths so it's hard to tell. It seemed like maybe it was working but then the next day there were more of them doing it. So I was thinking I just wasn't getting enough in them and I kept trying to get more into them. I don't think anyone's condition has gotten worse, but has definitely spread to the whole flock now which is surprising to me because I thought that it spread through the ingestion of earth worms. It's also possible that the whole flock had it when we bought them and that it wasn't bad enough to show symptoms until now.

It seems like some of them will respond a bit to the Safe-Guard, and will stop gaping for half a day or a day, but then it slowly comes back. I decided it might be better to buy the liquid safe-guard you can put in their water as I wasn't sure they were getting enough. That was last night, and symptoms have pretty much stayed the same. I'm also worried that the ones who have it worst aren't drinking enough water for it to be effective.

SO, what do I do next? Do I risk over-dosing them and add more to the water? Do I switch to another de-wormer? I saw some other accounts of people who didn't have great success with Safe-Guard. OR is there a possibility that this is somehow respiratory??? I really don't think it is. They have no other respiratory symptoms. No runny nose or eyes, etc. They are all pretty much normal, maybe sleep a little more than usual.

Please please help me guys. I have already poured hundreds of dollars and ridiculous amounts of time into keeping these little guys alive. I really thought we had light at the end of the tunnel once we kicked the other two illnesses but can't seem to make much headway here.

Thanks so much in advance. I've spent hours on this forum and have gotten alot of incredible info. What a great community. <3

PS Attached video is from today and is of Bojangle who has it the worst. Everyone else only gapes on and off occasionally. Bo has been doing it since we bought him, but I have never had chicks and didn't recognize it as abnormal behavior until it got worse.

Last edited:
Many chickens with a respiratory disease with gaping and swallow as the chick is doing in the video. Head shaking, watery eyes, eye bubbles, and crackles when breathing are other sounds. You said that one had conjunctivitis, and so I would guess this might be mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG. It is a chronic disease, and symptoms can be treated with certain antibiotics. Tylosin, oxytetracycline, Denagard, doxycycline, or enrofloxacin are some that may treat it. Some of those may be found online for pigeons. Testing can be done on your birds, and if you should lose little Bojangles, I would try to get a necropsy done with testing by your state poultry vet. Here is a good article about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

@frostic @dawg53 @Eggcessive
I was just googling and people have lots of opinions on what should be in chick's water. We are currently doing the following in a gallon of water:

1 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 oz of "chicken elixer" vitamins
1 packet of electrolytes

All of these were recommended to us by the breeder, who in retrospect I think is pretty bad. Oh except for the electrolytes. We added that because everyone was struggling to eat or drink enough and had diarrhea when they had coccidiosis. But since that's over maybe I should remove it.

Any way I got worried maybe there's too much stuff in their water or maybe the breeder was wrong. I just gave them some plain water too. Does anyone have thoughts on this?
Too much of a good thing can have adverse effects in chickens. Just go with the vitamins and stop the rest of the stuff.

You can take a fresh fecal sample to any vet and have them look under a microscope for worm eggs, shouldnt cost much.
However, now that you mentioned that your chick is eating and drinking, birds dont eat and drink if they have gapeworms. She wouldve been dead by now if it were gapeworms.

Did you look inside her mouth for any lesions?
Personnally I suspect it's mucus in her trachea resulting from some type of respiratory disease.

Well, he would have to answer the question, but the dosage most people use is 1 tsp (or 5 grams) per gallon. It has to be figured out in grams since it is a cattle medicine usually mixed in large stock tanks. On some of the pigeon sites they say to use 2 tsp per gallon. One thing about a sick chicken is that they don’t drink enough water. So, it would be hard to overdose even at 4 tsp per gallon. Your vet sounds like they are really overcharging you. The water is supposed to be changed and made fresh every 3 days. Always mix it by adding the water to the powder, or it will not mix easily.

Back
Top Bottom