Chicken with a cold? Gapeworm?

Currently, Gobble and the younger birds have had problems that seem like cold symptoms. My neighbor had noticed when they got them that Gobble, whenever she picked her up, would open and close her mouth. I didn't think anything of it until Gobble started making a little sneeze/squeak and shake her head. She occasionally has snot come out with it.

- opening/closing mouth at random times, esp. when picked up
- stretching neck out and "gasping" for air
- eye gunk at one point (only saw it once)
- sneeze/squeak with a shake of the head, occasional snot from the nose
- previous lice
- watery eyes if you deem them watery
- possible weight loss

The stretching of neck while gasping: a week
The gasping when picked up: 2.5mo

3 months later, and we've found lice (originating from the Sussex), something along the lines of anemia in the poor Sussex (probably from the lice) and a something like a cold from the Cochin. *sigh*
I don't see photos, can you post them?
A video of actions may be helpful - upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

The gasping when picked up is a symptom of only the Cochin correct?
Gasping when picked up, she was/is "fat" and is approx. 2 years old. She has lice/mites.
I see no mention of if she's currently laying eggs, if her crop is emptying and if you note any swelling/bloat or fluid in the abdomen. Could the "fat" be fluid?

Gasping only when picked up, ime, is usually due to some type of reproductive problem like cancer, EYP or similar. There may be some fluid in the abdomen as well. The pressure of being picked up causes them to gasp, but if the abdomen is supported and you don't let them hang around in the air/arms for very long and let them stand on their own, then the gasping will lessen. Advanced stages of reproductive problems, especially with some fluid as well, they seem to gasp more even when at rest/sitting down or if not comfortable on the roost.
Check this hen over for bloat under the vent between her legs.

3 months later finding lice/mites on the birds - that's just something that can happen. Perhaps they came with the bugs and the infestation grew or they were exposed to them somehow. Permethrin dust and spray will work. Dust all the birds and spray the housing. Repeat in 5-7 intervals.

3 months later you are seeing some respiratory type symptoms - how's the ventilation in the coop, how's the ammonia levels? Make sure there's plenty of fresh air flowing, even in winter.

A few other notes: the neighbor took Gobble to the vet recently, and the vet didn't mention her gasping while being picked up, although I don't think they asked the vet about it.
They have been treating her for around a month for lice. I am not sure exactly what they are using. At first they used a lice & mites product they picked up at the local mill. I wrote up stuff I'd learned on lice, which included suggesting using liquid Permethrin. (@Eggcessive ) I don't know exactly what they did... (I didn't want to be the nosey chicken-know-it-all neighbor) I should probably ask.
The chicken is seen as a pet by the neighbor's daughter, so it would be very hard to let her go. I hope to try options that don't involve culling first...
I think she may try taking her to the vet again.

The gasping when picked up is a symptom of only the Cochin correct?
No... the younger pullets/roo just started.

I don't see photos, can you post them?
A video of actions may be helpful - upload video to YouTube and provide a link.
I will ask for photos. I don't really want to go over there, if you know what I mean.
Do you think I could attach a normal video, or must it be a YouTube link?

I see no mention of if she's currently laying eggs, if her crop is emptying and if you note any swelling/bloat or fluid in the abdomen. Could the "fat" be fluid?
I didn't think of it. I haven't held her in a while - since we found they had lice, about a month ago, so I haven't felt her crop. Last I did, it was soft, but not empty.
They get between 1 and 2 eggs a day from 4 laying hens. Personally, I doubt the Sussex is laying because she is going thru a soft molt + just recovered from the anemia thing. The last I heard the Cochin egg-call was when they first got them, around 3mo ago.

Check this hen over for bloat under the vent between her legs.
Again, I'll ask them to check... As I'm thinking of it, Gobble was loosing feathers back there, and developed some sort of sore, which she was messing with. Would this go with that?

3 months later you are seeing some respiratory type symptoms - how's the ventilation in the coop, how's the ammonia levels? Make sure there's plenty of fresh air flowing, even in winter.
They clean that coop as though they were staying in it overnight, and I'm not kidding. They clean it out almost every other day, or at least pull the poop out. They also wash it out frequently.
There isn't much airflow, except thru the chicken door, but the vents, if you open them, are very large.

Thanks, sorry I don't have much information.

I will ask for photos. I don't really want to go over there, if you know what I mean.
Do you think I could attach a normal video, or must it be a YouTube link?

Thanks, sorry I don't have much information.
Why don't you ask your neighbor to make an account with BYC so they can make a post about their concerns.
Since you've not been over there much, they can best answer our questions, list symptoms they personally see and tell us more about the type of treatments (if any) they have tried/given.

Dealing directly with the owners/keepers of the flock is always best, they can give us a lot of details and photos.

Back
Top Bottom