Chicken with a cold? Gapeworm?

Chickengirl209

Songster
May 30, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
Hi all,
My neighbor recently got some chickens from some relatives in the south. The differently numbered flocks are from different family members. There are 7 total chickens:
An Orpington from our flock (who was totally healthy, currently 11mo old.)
3 hens, around 2yrs old. A Delaware, a Cochin, and a Sussex. They are from flock #1
2 pullets, around 6mo old. A Wyandotte and an Americana. They are from flock #2
One Silkie roo, around 6mo as well. Just found his manhood, LOL. Flock #2

Well... they had a 15hr drive that probably lowered their immune systems from stress... Also a new home and new birds.... And I figured they probably wouldn't need to be quarantined...
3 months later, and we've found lice (originating from the Sussex), something along the lines of anemia in the poor Sussex (probably from the lice) and a something like a cold from the Cochin. *sigh*

I had been previously successful in helping my Hyline Brown with blood flow/comb color issues/loss of appetite by feeding her high protein fermented feed. This was successful on the Sussex's blood issue.
We started treating everyone for lice, which Gobble, the Cochin, had contracted badly. They still have a little bit, thankfully not as much.

Currently, Gobble and the younger birds have had problems that seem like cold symptoms. My neighbor had noticed when they got them that Gobble, whenever she picked her up, would open and close her mouth. I didn't think anything of it until Gobble started making a little sneeze/squeak and shake her head. She occasionally has snot come out with it. No blood.
Now she has been stretching out her neck with her mouth open. I think it's called gasping.
Also, some of the younger birds have been doing the sneeze and open mouth thing, so it's spreading.

What do you all think it is? I have not checked them for rales, because I am trying to keep my distance, as not to give my girls lice or the cold. I also have not smelled their heads (Infectious Coryza).
I haven't looked at their poop either. Can you tell if they have gapeworm by their poop?
I have attached a pic below of Gobble. Would you call her eyes watery? The pic was taken a little while ago. I think she has also lost weight, but she was fat to begin with. The pullets/roo are growing fine. At one point, she had a bit of yellow gunk in her eyes, but I haven't seem that in a while.

So, here is a list of her symptoms if you got confused with my rambling. (Even I got confused!)
- opening/closing mouth at random times, esp. when picked up
- stretching neck out and "gasping" for air
- eye gunk at one point (only saw it once)
- sneeze/squeak with a shake of the head, occasional snot from the nose
- previous lice
- watery eyes if you deem them watery
- possible weight loss

If anyone would happen to know the specific disease/infection/worm that would also be excellent. Any advise on medicine would be appreciated as well. So far I've given them some anti parasitic herbs incase it's the worm, but I know that won't cut it. Also, isn't gapeworm supposed to go along with a dry cough?

I'll post the pic soon - someone else has my phone at the moment....

Thanks! I'll tag a few people to try to get some input:
@Miss Lydia
@Kiki
@Wyorp Rock
@rosemarythyme
@nuthatched
@PioneerChicks
@Ridgerunner
@ChickNanny13
@Chicks in VA
@coach723
@dawg53
@Eggcessive
@Folly's place

Gapeworm is actually quite rare, and this sounds more like a respiratory infection. Sometimes they get over those themselves but if it's been going on for over a few days getting worse instead of better, then antibiotics would be in order.

You're doing well to be giving fermented feed as that will help support them while they go through this.

How long has it been going on?

You're not dealing with gapeworms. I suspect it might be a mild case of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) which will spread through your flock.
You also need to completely take care of the lice problem with your birds, including coops, nest boxes etc...
Treatment for MG is Tylan or Denagard. You'll also have to close your flock. No new birds in, no birds out to be sold nor given away and no eggs sold or given away for hatching. MG can pass through the egg in chicks, if they survive.
Your other option is to cull MG infected birds.

Gapeworm is actually quite rare, and this sounds more like a respiratory infection. Sometimes they get over those themselves but if it's been going on for over a few days getting worse instead of better, then antibiotics would be in order.

You're doing well to be giving fermented feed as that will help support them while they go through this.

How long has it been going on?
The stretching of neck while gasping: a week
The gasping when picked up: 2.5mo

You're not dealing with gapeworms. I suspect it might be a mild case of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) which will spread through your flock.
You also need to completely take care of the lice problem with your birds, including coops, nest boxes etc...
Treatment for MG is Tylan or Denagard. You'll also have to close your flock. No new birds in, no birds out to be sold nor given away and no eggs sold or given away for hatching. MG can pass through the egg in chicks, if they survive.
Your other option is to cull MG infected birds.
Will they remain carriers their whole lives?

What are you using to treat the lice? Are you certain they are lice and not mites? Permethrin garden dust is good to kill lice and mites. Use a sock with the dust to dust the chickens skin and feathers. They have to be treated at least twice 10 days apart. Permethrin 10 concentrate can be added to water and used with a spray bottle to treat the coop, nests, and roosts, once all bedding is removed. That will last up to 30 days. Remove old bedding far away or burn it. You need to use good biosecurity between flocks. I would not even go there, but you should disinfect shoes, wash hands, change clothes, and do not share equipment.

Last edited:
Will they remain carriers their whole lives?
The best way to get a diagnosis is to take the sickest bird, cull it, and have your state vet lab perform a necropsy and testing. Do that on a weekday avoiding Monday Presidents’ Day or other holiday or weekend. Keep the body cold. If one chicken has MG or coryza, they will be carriers for life. With infectious bronchitis virus, that makes them carriers for part of the year. Do any have bubbles or foam in an eye, or swelling of the face or eyelid? If they can provide any pictures, that would be good.

Gasping and head shaking can be common with respiratory diseases. Gapeworm is very rare. Worms and gapeworms can be treated with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally for most chickens, and repeated in 10 days. Or get SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml per pound of weight and give it orally for 5 straight days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom