Gapeworm? Or cocci again?

austinclarksf

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 17, 2012
I have an aggressive RHR that lives an isolated part of my run. They girls can interact through the fencing and share scraps but the RHR cannot attack and chase.

She is a little over one year old, this morning I noticed she is sluggish. Head cocked to one side, closing eyes, tail down. Very distant, it took her a few to realize that I had thrown mealworms down for her. I have not wormed before, and over the past week or two I have noticed that the RHR has been 'gasping' a lot. It's been hot here, so I assumed she was panting, but now that she has her head cocked to one side I am wondering. She is not gaping ritually. In fact, I have not seen her do it this morning. However, her head is definitely cocked to the left side, and she shakes it now and then. She does not seem to be off balance, but she isn't moving much either.

I treated for cocci about three weeks ago with Sulmet. All of my girl's health improved. Could this be cocci again? Should I go for a second round, maybe with Corid?

I have Sulmet and Wazine on hand. I think I will start on the Wazine today, but since she is not continually gaping, could it be something else? Her breathing does not appear to be very labored.

The gaping could indeed be due to the heat, and in fact, could even cause sluggishness. However, it seems like something more serious. Sulmet only kills two of the nine strains of Cocci, so she still may have it. Corid would kill all nine strains.

Worms are certainly a possibility. Wazine only kills roundworms, so I'd get a broader spectrum dewormer. Valbazen or Safeguard are good wormers, as is the product I use, called the Worminator ( http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584).

Hope this helps! And, good luck!

Thanks for the advice. She is not gaping ritually, so I don't know if it is gapeworm, could those worms be impacting her health without chronic gasping? She is spending most of her time sitting down with her head cocked to one side eyes closed. I can get her to eat if I mix some mealworms in with scratch and sunflower seeds. Haven't seen her drink water yet- if she does not I will drop some medicated water down her throat.

I read from dawg53 that you can swab a q-tip down her throat to see if she has gapeworms. I will try that this morning.

Which way should I go first? de-wormer or corid? I feel uneasy about using both at the same time, is that safe?

Thanks for the advice. She is not gaping ritually, so I don't know if it is gapeworm, could those worms be impacting her health without chronic gasping? She is spending most of her time sitting down with her head cocked to one side eyes closed. I can get her to eat if I mix some mealworms in with scratch and sunflower seeds. Haven't seen her drink water yet- if she does not I will drop some medicated water down her throat.

I read from dawg53 that you can swab a q-tip down her throat to see if she has gapeworms. I will try that this morning.

Which way should I go first? de-wormer or corid? I feel uneasy about using both at the same time, is that safe?
It's not gapeworm since she is eatiing. Also, gapes are rare in chickens. Wyandottes7 has provided good advice. I recommend you worm all your birds.

Last edited:
I will de-worm my flock with a broad spectrum de wormer. She ate a good amount of the mealworms/scratch/sunflower seeds that I put in a bowl for her, then drank a good amount of water. She returned to a corner to sit down and sleep. My last hen wouldn't eat this well when she was acting this way as a result of Cocci, so it very well could be worms? The summer rains here have been keeping the topsoil somewhat moist, and it's been steady 95+ for weeks, condusive to cocci and worms.

All of the feed stores in Albuquerque are closed today, it being Sunday. This whole state is overtly catholic.

I will treat with Wazine today as it's all that I have, and get ahold of Corid and a broad spectrum de wormer tomorrow. Which one should I start her on tomorrow? Whatever makes her feel better I will use to treat my whole flock, as of now everyone else is acting fine.

Also, the directions on the Wazine are convoluted. There is no indication as to how long to treat with it, but it does mention that I follow up after 30 days with another round. I have never de wormed before, but I understand the idea of the eggs/life cycles of the worms. What has worked for you?

This is her most recent egg, from 2 days ago. I've noticed this pattern on her eggs recently, and I thought it was excess calcium. Although, her eggshells seem thin. Don't know if this helps narrow it down. Egg is solid color and speckled on the bottom half, and the top half is pale and discolored, and rough.

My RHR is acting a lot better. One day on Wazine and her tail is up, she's walking around and being active, and eating like a hog again. Roundworms muyst have been my issue, although I never saw them in her droppings.

Does anyone have experience with getting rid of roundworms?

I would worm with a more broad spectrum wormer like Safeguard Liquid Goat wormer that gets everything but tapeworm, or Valbazen that gets them all. The dose is 1/2 ml for either one for a regular size chicken. Does she still have her head sideways? That could be wry neck. Many people retreat for cocci after two weeks, and Coprid does treat most strains.

Last edited:
What are the symptoms of wry neck? Her head is still a little cocked, she looks at me with one eye only. However, when she scratches/eats, her head is aligned.

I lost a hen to a vitamin e deficiency brought on by cocci, could this be another deficiency, maybe caused by worms?

I would worm with a more broad spectrum wormer like Safeguard Liquid Goat wormer that gets everything but tapeworm, or Valbazen that gets them all. The dose is 1/2 ml for either one for a regular size chicken. Does she still have her head sideways? That could be wry neck. Many people retreat for cocci after two weeks, and Coprid does treat most strains.
Safeguard *does* get one species of tapeworm when given at 20mg/kg three days in a row and Valbazen must be given at 20mg/kg to be most effective.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom