Gapeworm or respiratory Illness?

Wow Meds are hard to give 15 chickens!! That was pretty much a disaster & not sure that each one swallowed the whole dosešŸ˜«šŸ¤Æ. I only got half of them done. I weighed each one. Hereā€™s what we have for chicken weights:
3 @ 3 lbs
3 @ 4 lbs
8 @ 5 lbs
1 @ 7 lbs

Is there a better way of getting the wormer into them orally each day or a different easier med that I can give each one? Paste maybe?

Please LMK as soon as you can so if I need to go to TSC I can go before they close.

Thank you in advance šŸ™šŸ¼

@Luckyt21
Here's a link that might help you regarding worming chickens, see posts #2 & #4:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worming-questions.1515680/#post-25504826
I was going to suggest your posts Jim!:)

@Luckyt21
Here's a link that might help you regarding worming chickens, see posts #2 & #4:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worming-questions.1515680/#post-25504826

Thank you, that was a great post. I think I might go pick up some Valbazen since the dose is about half the volume & might be easier to get into them. Do you see any harm in switching over? They have a 2 days dose of safeguard in them now.

Can you clarify if I should be cleaning out the coop & run now or after the treatments are done? Temp is only 1 degree here today.

Does freezing weather kill the worms & worm eggs or no?

Freezing weather only preserves worm eggs.

Did you not understand that Aqua-sol, soluble fenbendazole, goes into the drinking water and you don't have to handle the chickens? They merely drink their dose. If it's simplicity and ease you are after, I offered you a way back in the beginning.

I would wait until the weather isn't so life threateningly cold to start the maintenance. It won't really accomplish much to put yourself through the agony of working in sub-freezing temps. Waiting for the spring thaw would be much wiser.

Freezing weather only preserves worm eggs.

Did you not understand that Aqua-sol, soluble fenbendazole, goes into the drinking water and you don't have to handle the chickens? They merely drink their dose. If it's simplicity and ease you are after, I offered you a way back in the beginning.

Dang it anyway, the cold is good for nothing!!

Yes I originally started with it their water & a couple ppl on this thread told me that that is not effective enough so yesterday I gave it to them each by hand & was covered in more of the white liquid than I think I got in their mouths.

Aquasol will not treat gapeworms since they are lodged in the trachea. Aquasol is effective against intestinal parasites...large roundworms and cecal worms requiring a 5 day treatment mixed in water.

Then this may be why it didnā€™t work when I originally suspected gapeworm in her back in November. I had her separated & treated her with safeguard goat liquid in water back then & just prior to that I had done a preventative Ivermectin pour on drops on each neck base on everyone for worms & external parasites then a second dose 14 days later. My chicken Health book said that Ivermectin pour on & safeguard in water will treat gapeworm so I tried Ivermectin first since the book also stated it works for external parasites as well. So either she got reinfected with worms or both prior methods were ineffective. Thatā€™s why this time I am attempting to give separate doses.šŸ˜«šŸ¤”

Safeguard in water is ineffective treating gapeworms. Ivermectin has lost its effectiveness in treating poultry worms due to its overuse in treating mites in poultry.
Unfortunately mites in certain parts of the country are showing resistance to ivermectin as well.

Last edited:
Itā€™s so hard to know what to do with this gapeworm problem being I have read different methods of treatment & itā€™s not a commonality with everyone.

Has anyone out there ever had a gapeworm diagnosis & had success with controlling the nasty buggers? She has been through so much. She a tough little girl that much I know is true! Sheā€™s very sweet to me & we have created quite the bond I tell ya. Iā€™m hoping to take her back outside today since we are getting higher temps & I can keep an eye on her all day.

Back
Top Bottom