Gapeworm or respiratory Illness?

Pics
Safeguard in water is ineffective treating gapeworms. Ivermectin has lost its effectiveness in treating poultry worms due to its overuse in treating mites in poultry.
Unfortunately mites in certain parts of the country are showing resistance to mites as well.

Mites, lice & fleas will probably curse me next. That’s another reason that I am cleaning out all the coop bedding this wknd.
While I have the coop emptied out & the chickens are in the run what would anyone suggest I use to sprinkle or spray around to deter the external parasites & also be safe for them when I let them back in the coop? May as well do it all while I’m at it.

It’s so hard to know what to do with this gapeworm problem being I have read different methods of treatment & it’s not a commonality with everyone.
First of all why are you having a hard time deciding what to do with the problem.
Your Vet texted you a photo of the product to use along with the dose and timeline?
Treat them for the 3 days as he prescribed and go from there.

I believe there may be some confusion about Safeguard Liquid GOAT Dewormer and Safeguard AQUASOL. Both are Fenbendazole, but the delivery and dosing are different.

AQUASOL was marketed and FDA Approved a few years ago as treatment for poultry to go in water, it's formulated to go in water. The dose is a low dose that will treat roundworm and cecal worms only. The info for Aquasol can be found here https://www.merck-animal-health-usa.com/species/poultry/products/safe-guard-aquasol

Aquasol is mainly marketed for commercial flocks. It's approx $300.00 compared to $35.00 for the goat dewormer.

For me I'd use the goat dewormer, dose the birds for the 3 days as the vet recommended and see how things go.

IF you find that you are still having issues in a month or so, then consider using Valbazen.

Your Vet's text with product and dosing.
bf4c9f93-ffcb-47c9-bc05-70ef384df18e-png.3392966

Goat Dewormer

Aquasol
1333.jpg

Last edited:
First of all why are you having a hard time deciding what to do with the problem.
Your Vet texted you a photo of the product to use along with the dose and timeline?
Treat them for the 3 days as he prescribed and go from there.

I believe there may be some confusion about Safeguard Liquid GOAT Dewormer and Safeguard AQUASOL. Both are Fenbendazole, but the deliver and dosing is different.

AQUASOL was marketed and FDA Approved a few years ago as treatment for poultry to go in water, it's formulated to go in water. The dose is a low dose that will treat roundworm and cecal worms only. The info for Aquasol can be found here https://www.merck-animal-health-usa.com/species/poultry/products/safe-guard-aquasol

Aquasol is mainly marketed for commercial flocks. It's approx $300.00 compared to $35.00 for the goat dewormer.

For me I'd use the goat dewormer, dose the birds for the 3 days as the vet recommended and see how things go.

IF you find that you are still having issues in a month or so, then consider using Valbazen.

Your Vet's text with product and dosing.
bf4c9f93-ffcb-47c9-bc05-70ef384df18e-png.3392966

Goat Dewormer

Aquasol
1333.jpg

That clarifies alot! I didn’t know there was a difference btwn the 2 safeguards. The picture (offset to the right) I had attached of the goat kind with vets text (offset to the left of the screen) screenshot was taken by me & sent to my vet to make sure I had the correct product. He never got back to me to verify (as I had said he doesn’t like chicken stuff). There was a discrepancy in the dose he told me to give (60mg/kg) & what I have is the 10% 100mg/ml. That was my confusion from him & I don’t want to OD everybody.

That clarifies alot! I didn’t know there was a difference btwn the 2 safeguards. The picture (offset to the right) I had attached of the goat kind with vets text (offset to the left of the screen) screenshot was taken by me & sent to my vet to make sure I had the correct product. He never got back to me to verify (as I had said he doesn’t like chicken stuff). There was a discrepancy in the dose he told me to give (60mg/kg) & what I have is the 10% 100mg/ml. That was my confusion from him & I don’t want to OD everybody.
What? Where's a discrepancy?

The vet told you to dose at 60mg/kg.

The 100mg/mL just tells you how much Safeguard is in each mL.

This is why I broke down the dose for you a couple of pages ago...
See the formula?👇👇
He says to use a dose of 60mg/kg of the goat dewormer so that will translate to 0.2727ml per pound of weight. (1÷2.2x60÷100=0.2727) I'd try to get as close to 0.27ml as possible.

What? Where's a discrepancy?

The vet told you to dose at 60mg/kg.

The 100mg/mL just tells you how much Safeguard is in each mL.

This is why I broke down the dose for you a couple of pages ago...
See the formula?👇👇

Yep, that’s what I have been giving & dosing off what you told me. I didn’t know how to do the math before you showed me. I’ve gotten better at it today so I will stick with the safeguard goat, but it would be nice to have many oral syringes so I can have each birds dose drawn up ahead of time instead of trying to refill after each bird & my 1ml oral string is not quite enough for each dose.

Yep, that’s what I have been giving & dosing off what you told me. I didn’t know how to do the math before you showed me. I’ve gotten better at it today so I will stick with the safeguard goat, but it would be nice to have many oral syringes so I can have each birds dose drawn up ahead of time instead of trying to refill after each bird & my 1ml oral string is not quite enough for each dose.
Only having 1 syringe would be a challenge.
Look on Amazon and buy bulk syringes, you can get 1ml and up. A box will last a long time.

Only having 1 syringe would be a challenge.
Look on Amazon and buy bulk syringes, you can get 1ml and up. A box will last a long time.

I ordered a 100 box of 1ml syringes yesterday & what I’ll do in the future if needed is divide the dose for each bird into 2 syringes.

Could you please confirm if I should repeat this treatment of safeguard 10% goat wormer in 10-14 days?

No repeat.

I finished the 3rd deworming. What do you recommend for egg withdrawal on safeguard goat & Valbazen? I am going to buy more of both kinds for next time I have to deworm.

I am noticing that a couple of my other chickens are developing runny poops & starting to have dirty butt. (Gabby with the gapeworm is back in the coop, still has the diarrhea, started clear-light brown discharge from her beak when bending down to eat/drink, not very active & breathing for her is sometimes labored. Do you think this is from the dewormer or do I now have something else to deal with? When I was picking up poops this morning I noticed that one of them had a red tinge in the whitecap part.

Back
Top Bottom