Gapeworm treatment didn't work

Anirt

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2021
I used 5xs poultry dewormer follow up included, and it didn't kill it, I'm thinking because I have dirt floors? Just really want to help them. Any ideas?

I used 5xs poultry dewormer follow up included, and it didn't kill it, I'm thinking because I have dirt floors? Just really want to help them. Any ideas?
I read some of your previous posts and you've been dealing with a respiratory disease in your flock. That's the reason why the poultry dewormer did not work because your birds do not have gapeworms. Gapeworms are rare in chickens.
The mucus build up in the trachea can mimic symptoms like gapeworm infection.

All poultry respiratory diseases are contagious to other chickens. Antibiotics only mask the symptoms, they do not cure the disease. Also, birds are carriers of respiratory diseases and will easily spread the disease(s) to other chickens. When birds are stressed, expect to see respiratory disease symptoms to appear.
Eventually, antibiotics will be useless treating the symptoms due to disease resistance over time.

You have two choices; maintain a closed flock. No new birds allowed in your flock or out of your flock. Do not sell nor give away any of your chickens, do not sell nor give eggs away to be hatched because some respiratory diseases can be passed through the eggs.

Your second choice is to cull your flock. Bury the chickens deep in the ground away from your coop and pen. Or you can incinerate them.
Then clean out and disinfect everything; coops, nest boxes, waterers/feeders etc...
Wait about 6 months before repopulating. The sun will take of contaminated soil.

I read some of your previous posts and you've been dealing with a respiratory disease in your flock. That's the reason why the poultry dewormer did not work because your birds do not have gapeworms. Gapeworms are rare in chickens.
The mucus build up in the trachea can mimic symptoms like gapeworm infection.

All poultry respiratory diseases are contagious to other chickens. Antibiotics only mask the symptoms, they do not cure the disease. Also, birds are carriers of respiratory diseases and will easily spread the disease(s) to other chickens. When birds are stressed, expect to see respiratory disease symptoms to appear.
Eventually, antibiotics will be useless treating the symptoms due to disease resistance over time.

You have two choices; maintain a closed flock. No new birds allowed in your flock or out of your flock. Do not sell nor give away any of your chickens, do not sell nor give eggs away to be hatched because some respiratory diseases can be passed through the eggs.

Your second choice is to cull your flock. Bury the chickens deep in the ground away from your coop and pen. Or you can incinerate them.
Then clean out and disinfect everything; coops, nest boxes, waterers/feeders etc...
Wait about 6 months before repopulating. The sun will take of contaminated soil.
How long should I maintain a closed flock? Thank you so much I did the A200 as you had saw I feel bad for them but they seen to be song a bit better again thank you for your help

Back
Top Bottom