GAPEWORM--treatment?? HELP!

The combo of Baytril and Doxy should cover just about every bacterial infection she could have (baytril is banned for use in poultry by the FDA, your vet is being very trusting)-... so if she does not get better that leaves you/her with something else- such as a fungal infection, viral infection, or parasitic, or maybe a foreign body in the trachea. If you used appropriate doses of ivermectin & fenbendazole, parasitism is unlikely. If all of the other birds are fine and if you haven't brought any new birds into the area in the last month or so, infectious viral issue is unlikely. So, I would be leaning toward a fungal issue- unusual, but the last bird I had with a sudden gaping problem, I treated 3 days with fenbendazole with no improvement so I dispatched and sent to our state lab for a fee necropsy- I have a large flock and was very worried about contagious infection. It came back as fungal granuloma in the trachea. Odd ball diagnosis, but it made sense- as the rest of the flock was fine, and it did not respond to appropriate deworming. You can ask your vet to check your math on the fenbendazole and ivermectin. I prefer giving meds by weight and dose with a syringe, not trusting the 'drop' method. You can also start flushing her sinuses/choana with dilute Vetrx, I think this helped a peafowl I had with an upper respiratory infection. Hope she feels better soon.

Back
Top Bottom