CajunFeatherz

Chirping
Mar 13, 2018
Hey all. I'm a new member to BYC (but lurked for probably 4 years) and relatively desperate for some clear answers on gapeworm treatment.

Background info: I have a flock that apparently has IB. I think it's some of my main chickens that are the Patient Zero carriers, this is my first outbreak ever in 2+ years, and I'm just a backyard flock, so I am not culling. Everything was fine until we moved into a new coop a week ago, at which time several things happened: we combined our entire flock which had never shared a coop before (we had maxed out our hodgepodge coops and finally treated ourselves to a custom built big giant coop able to hold 100+ birds); the temperature dropped suddenly and dramatically; and a massive rainstorm came through flooding absolute everything. We ended up with 30 coughing, sneezing, red-eyed birds. I feel totally responsible. Even though I know I can't control the weather, I still have to keep them cooped while they readjust and that makes me feel guilty.

I'm starting treatment with Tylan tonight, and plan to vaccinate for IB in the future. But last night I noticed a few of my birds gaping for breath. I know IB can cause some respiratory struggle, and I'm probably on high alert, but: should I be additionally concerned about gapeworm and, if so, should I treat simultaneously while I have them all in one spot and, in that case, what is the best and simplest wormer to use when you don't want to orally inject 30 birds? Like most of you I have access to a tractor supply and Amazon but Flubenvet is nowhere to be found and the conflicting info about dosage, efficacy, and safety of Ivermectin vs Safeguard vs Panacur has me swimming and worried. I also want to try some VetRX and Verm-X; since these are natural products, can I assume they are safe to use in tandem with the other wormers/antibiotics?

I just want my babes better. My head rooster is so hoarse, my heart is broken when he crows. And he's young and I feel him being confused and depressed being stuck in a cold, damp, unfamiliar coop while sick. Halp & thank you Also go easy on me, I certainly didn't mean for this to happen.

Last edited:
Have you seen actual gapeworms? You can check by gently swabbing the back of the throat with a q-tip. If there is a pinkish tinge to the q-tip (blood) or actual worms on it, you will have your answer.

Someone on here should have answers for you.

Have you seen actual gapeworms? You can check by gently swabbing the back of the throat with a q-tip. If there is a pinkish tinge to the q-tip (blood) or actual worms on it, you will have your answer.

Someone on here should have answers for you.

I have not done that and will definitely do so tonight when we handle the birds. Thank you so much, I had not seen this tip before!

Back
Top Bottom