Gapeworm

mcdowell89

Chirping
May 9, 2019
Pretty sure my silkie has gapeworm he's been stretching his neck out a lot and gaping. No other symptoms like respiratory no sneezing, coughing, wheezing, or struggling to breath. He is very small and not fully grown. I bought safeguard liquid goat wormer from tractor supply but not sure how to dose. Can anyone give me updated info on worming him properly ?

Pretty sure my silkie has gapeworm he's been stretching his neck out a lot and gaping. No other symptoms like respiratory no sneezing, coughing, wheezing, or struggling to breath. He is very small and not fully grown. I bought safeguard liquid goat wormer from tractor supply but not sure how to dose. Can anyone give me updated info on worming him properly ?
Can you post a video of him? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

Is he able to eat/drink?

Since he has no other symptoms, I would check his crop to make sure it's empty first thing in the morning. Also look inside his beak for any obstruction, canker, sores or plaques. Smell his breath for any foul or sour odors.

Gapeworm is not that common, but you can use Safeguard to treat it. Dosage is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 days in a row.

Usually chickens with gapeworm cannot eat or drink, due to the difficulty in gasping for breath. More often the symptoms may be due to a respiratory disease such as MG, ILT, infectious bronchitis, coryza. Outside of the US, or in southern California, Exotic Newcastles Disease virus could also be a possibility. If it is gapeworm, which you could confirm with a fecal test by a vet, there can be continued symptoms for s few days after treatment. This is a good reference with symptoms of those and other diseases:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

No noise when stretching his neck at all. Just a stretch and opening his mouth really wide. I lookes in his mouth i didnt see any obstructions or smell any foul smell. Checking his crop was the first thing i did and it didnt feel like it was hard or full. I've been using organic apple cider vinegar since he was a chick to promote healthy gut and digestion as well as chick grit. He doesnt seem to have any symptoms what so ever of any respiratory issues. Eating and drinking normal. Breathing fine. Not sure how to upload a video but i can get one if someone can explain how to upload it

Sometimes they get food stuck in the crop. Most chickens do this occasionally, but not all the time. Do you have grit available to help him digest foods other than chicken crumbles? Can you feel of the crop to see if it is full and hard? How well is he drinking water?

Back
Top Bottom