Gapeworm

Ashkash

Hatching
Apr 14, 2020
I am pretty much 100% sure one of my hens has gapeworm. I am a new chicken owner and had no idea they could get this from earthworms. My daughter and I found a bunch and fed our chickens about 2 months ago. She has been gaping for about a month and a half. At first it was infrequent and she acted normally. I thought it was respiratory and gave her antibiotics due to a rattle in her chest. She didn’t really improve so about 2 weeks later I gave another antibiotic shot. No improvement. I finally researched and found out about gapeworm. She holds her neck out, gurgles, and gasps for breath. I had some ivermectin and gave her a dose today. She is really struggling. When should I dose again? Also, should I dose my whole flock? And do I need to start a preventive maintanece with them as well?

Im so sorry you are dealing with this! It sounds terrible.

I know very little about gapeworm, and I'm not even sure if what you describe is gapeworm. I'm bumping this thread up so that others with more experience can help.

Have you had fecals run at your veterinarian's? Any testing at all? Antibiotics are a bad idea unless you really know why, and pay attention to what drugs are approved, and any egg withdrawal times for laying hens.
Fenbendazole will treat for this, with no egg withdrawal time. You need to treat everyone for the right number of days at the correct dosage, which I think is on the site.
Mary

Have you had fecals run at your veterinarian's? Any testing at all? Antibiotics are a bad idea unless you really know why, and pay attention to what drugs are approved, and any egg withdrawal times for laying hens.
Fenbendazole will treat for this, with no egg withdrawal time. You need to treat everyone for the right number of days at the correct dosage, which I think is on the site.
Mary
I have not..our local vet doesn’t take chickens. I followed dosing advice on a thread here for LA200 and followed egg withdrawal time. Trying to figure all of this out. I really appreciate your help and reply. Where can I find the fenbendazole? I have tried to find it with no luck.

I just lost one due to this as well. I couldn’t find any of the recommended medications locally. My vet told me to try roundworm treatment on her (dosed by weight). She died before I made it home from the store.

As mentioned above, SafeGuard treats it (it has febendazole). I have it as a paste for horses, but it also comes for goats (same strength) and in other forms. I got mine @ TSC, but I've not been to a feed store that doesn't carry it.
174802_MAIN._AC_SY400_V1579271006_.jpg

(pic from chewy.com)

Back
Top Bottom