Gapeworm

mom2minerchicks

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 26, 2014
Maine
My one year old EE was diagnosed with gapeworm yesterday and started on Fenbendazole. She seems worse since I gave her the meds. She is coughing more this morning. Is that normal?

It could be a die off reaction.
I'm a chicken noob, but a parasite expert.
When treating with meds and killing off a worm load, toxins, bacteria and viruses that parasites carry are released that will make one sick. Also, dead worms can cause a blockage, so you'll want to keep an eye out and make sure she is pooping.
Fenben is good.. Works to disrupt how parasites get energy, so it shouldn't kill off a bunch at one time, it does happen though. So, I'd lean more towards die off this early or medication side effect. If you can get her to drink some vitamin/electrolyte water, that might help. Ivermectin can produce nasty side effects too... Thats the worst of them all but least effective anymore.
Hopefully someone with more experience with chickens can guide you better.
I hope she gets well and makes a full recovery!

It could be a die off reaction.
I'm a chicken noob, but a parasite expert.
When treating with meds and killing off a worm load, toxins, bacteria and viruses that parasites carry are released that will make one sick. Also, dead worms can cause a blockage, so you'll want to keep an eye out and make sure she is pooping.
Fenben is good.. Works to disrupt how parasites get energy, so it shouldn't kill off a bunch at one time, it does happen though. So, I'd lean more towards die off this early or medication side effect. If you can get her to drink some vitamin/electrolyte water, that might help. Ivermectin can produce nasty side effects too... Thats the worst of them all but least effective anymore.
Hopefully someone with more experience with chickens can guide you better.
I hope she gets well and makes a full recovery!

What is your recommendation for gapeworm treatment?

Quote:
Did the vet provide you with instructions how to treat for gapeworm, any info at all? Please post his/her instructions for everyone to read.
Internal parasites lay thousands of eggs onto your soil. Chickens constantly peck the soil and pick up unseen worm eggs. This is part of what's called the "direct" lifecycle of worms. The "indirect" lifecycle is when a chicken eats an infective host insect....much like a dog eating/swallowing a flea, then becoming tapeworm infected after the lifecycle is completed.
If I were you, I'd worm all my birds. If in fact it's gapeworm, you'll need a regular worming schedule in order to end the worms lifecycle.

Did the vet provide you with instructions how to treat for gapeworm, any info at all? Please post his/her instructions for everyone to read.
Internal parasites lay thousands of eggs onto your soil. Chickens constantly peck the soil and pick up unseen worm eggs. This is part of what's called the "direct" lifecycle of worms. The "indirect" lifecycle is when a chicken eats an infective host insect....much like a dog eating/swallowing a flea, then becoming tapeworm infected after the lifecycle is completed.
If I were you, I'd worm all my birds. If in fact it's gapeworm, you'll need a regular worming schedule in order to end the worms lifecycle.

I was given meds for 5 days for the infected chicken. I asked other questions ie. treating other chickens, separating the chickens, with no answer. She did have gapeworm eggs in her fecal sample. What is a good worming schedule?

I was given meds for 5 days for the infected chicken. I asked other questions ie. treating other chickens, separating the chickens, with no answer. She did have gapeworm eggs in her fecal sample. What is a good worming schedule?
I would treat the whole flock. What meds did they sell you? Panacur?

-Kathy

What is your recommendation for gapeworm treatment?

If it was me personally, I would probably do ivermectin first, then reasses.
Albndazole would be my first choice as a regular scheduled dewormer, but only because I have tons of the sheep drench already.

Back
Top Bottom