Gapeworms?

OkieChickenDad

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 21, 2010
Oklahoma
I have a 4 month old EE pullet that has had one issue after another...1st mites, then a broken wing and now she shakes her head a lot, and is starting to stick her neck out and open her mouth up wide like she is gonna scream....I have read that this may or may not be gapeworm. I have an older pullet in the same coop almost 8 months old and never had a mite and shows no symptoms like the EE does. Is this gapeworm?

Quote:
You can use a Q-tip. Gently stick it 1 inch down the throat, swab the throat and gently remove the Q-tip. If you see a red in color "Y" shaped worm on the Q-tip...it's gapeworm.

Ok did the q-tip thing and got a good look down her throat...nothing. She has no mites or lice, and the only symptoms she has is head shaking and yawning sometimes, but head shaking a lot.

Quote:
OK, I just lost a hen from the same symptoms, then I saw a silkie doing the same thing
I immediately brought her in isolatedher, got some Tylan 50 and injected her for five days
It was not gapeworm, since this happened over a period of three or four months. Gapeworm kills faster than that, it is also not very common
I'm not saying this is what willwork for your bird, but FYI, Tylan will not work for gapeworm.
She's fine now, someone suggested some type of lung infection.
Good luck, and I bought everything frmo Jeffers Livestock Supply

Back
Top Bottom