Gaping...different symptoms..help?

fowl weathered friend

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Tucson, AZ
Hi: I have a small backyard flock in a dirt yard and recently two of the birds have had diarrhoea and from their other symptoms appeared to have cocci. So I started treating them, and I just started the water soluable treatment so I'll keep you posted on that

However, one of my little hens (about four-five months) has seemed pretty fine until yesterday. No diarrhoea, pecking around just fine. Yesterday I noticed that she was laying down a lot and her comb seemed a little duller than usual. Today, still laying down a lot, seeming a little listless. She's eating and scratching normally when I put down feed, but I rarely see her drink water and today she started gaping: craning her neck to the sky and 'yawning' three or four times.

She put up a decent fight to collect her and now I have her isolated, but I have no idea what could be wrong with her?

We have a large dirt yard, plenty of space, and I recently dusted and sprayed for mites and un-nice buggies, and none of the other hens are displayng these symptoms. I did however have a bird die suddenly several weeks ago that showed no outward symptoms of anything, and that's making me extra cautious.

Does anyone know what might be wrong with her? The gaping and lack of thirst are really worrying.

Back
Top Bottom