Gaping? Stress? Crop Issue??

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
Hi All - so we have had gape worm years ago and most of my girls were gaping. We got rid of it and all was well. Fast forward to a few of my girls had diarreah and I sent samples to the vet and they came up parasite free. Last night I saw one of my girls at first seem to do a "regurgitate" type of movement and then it looked like she was gaping, and then it stopped altogether and today she seemed normal and I saw no gaping during the day. Her appetite is great and nothing seems off. So tonight I checked the cam and this is what I saw. It looks like gaping but nobody else is doing it and she doesn't it do this during the day. Any thoughts?
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/8b/11/935E24E0-F961-467A-BC52-F707500816B4/IMG_3596.mov

View attachment 3054160

Last edited:
She may have been adjusting her crop.
You can check to see if her crop is emptying in the morning before she eats/drinks.

If she's acting normal, eating/drinking, etc. Then I would just monitor the flock like you normally do.

A bird that has Gapeworm will be in distress, won't eat/drink, gapes all the time, coughs, etc.

Hi All - so we have had gape worm years ago and most of my girls were gaping. We got rid of it and all was well. Fast forward to a few of my girls had diarreah and I sent samples to the vet and they came up parasite free. Last night I saw one of my girls at first seem to do a "regurgitate" type of movement and then it looked like she was gaping, and then it stopped altogether and today she seemed normal and I saw no gaping during the day. Her appetite is great and nothing seems off. So tonight I checked the cam and this is what I saw. It looks like gaping but nobody else is doing it and she doesn't it do this during the day. Any thoughts? (I can't figure out why this is coming up as a photo. I am trying to select the video from my photos and it won't let me select it, so I tried to copy/paste the video but it is coming up as a still photo - if anyone can tell me how to take a video from my photos and upload it, that would be great. Dont know why it won't let me select it. Maybe because my husband texted it to me and I saved it to my photos?)

View attachment 3054160

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8248.jpg

Last edited:
She may have been adjusting her crop.
You can check to see if her crop is emptying in the morning before she eats/drinks.

If she's acting normal, eating/drinking, etc. Then I would just monitor the flock like you normally do.

A bird that has Gapeworm will be in distress, won't eat/drink, gapes all the time, coughs, etc.
okay thanks! Do birds often adjust their crops? She seems to be the only one doing this and has done it two nights in a row. She is new to our flock about 7 months ago and is younger and a different breed than my original flock - could it have to do with maturity/breed/being the new-bie? Thanks for your help

If she's been with your flock for 7 months, then she's not really that new and should be situated within the flock by now.

Yes, birds can often adjust their crops, but if she's the only one doing it and it's fairly consistent, then I would check her crop for several mornings in a row to make sure it's emptying.

If she's been with your flock for 7 months, then she's not really that new and should be situated within the flock by now.

Yes, birds can often adjust their crops, but if she's the only one doing it and it's fairly consistent, then I would check her crop for several mornings in a row to make sure it's emptying.
okay thanks! I will check and see!

Back
Top Bottom