Dead chick

Nov 18, 2023
I got 8 chicks delivered by mypetchicken on tuesday and one had already died. We have had great expiriences with them so far and understand that there are risks with shipping. The only thing is that this chick was thriving not even 24 hours ago and was extremely weak when I went to check the babies today. I went to go get my chicken first aid kit and not even 5 minutes later when I returned, she was dead. All the other chicks appear to be ok, I'm just wondering what may have happened. From what I've heard, shipping related deaths happen quite quickly after or during shipping. Should I worry for myself or the other chicks or is it nothing? Thanks!
p.s below is a video of her about a day ago

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/98/08/0DBB516B-5193-461F-98A6-2DD47CF7E20C/745534B3-659F-4931-B011-E738F1904581.mov

Most videos have to be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link here to be seen. I can’t see the video you posted. Have you seen any pasty butt on any of the chicks? I would offer all of the chicks water with electrolytes, and dip their beaks often. Poultry NutriDrench 2-3 drops is very good. Watch to see that they are getting food, and are active. Shipping stress can sometimes be seen later even up to a week after hatch. This time of year is still rather cold for smaller groups to be sent, even with a heat pack. Do you know which hatchery My Pet Chicken was using or how long they were in shipping? I hope that the rest of your chicks do well. Sorry for your loss.

They were in shipping for one day. I am not sure witch hatchery. They are all nice and warm now and I have been giving them electrolyte water. There is one chick with a very minor case of pasty butt that we are treating, but the one that passed did not have any. It might be genetics or just something unfurtunate and random. She was a Swedish flower hen. Im not sure if that makes a difference, but maybe they have a history with randomly dieing?

I would watch for more pasty butt. The same ones may get it again for up to 10 days, so check every am. Sometimes there can be chicks from a weak hatch, you just never know. The rarer the breed, there may be some problems, but I hope that you don’t lose any more. Be sure to let the seller know so you can get a refund or replacements.

Back
Top Bottom