Chick 3-4 weeks old sneezing, mama swole eye

Peezak

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2021
My white silkie looking chick came down with a repeated sneeze 2 days ago. I noticed it at night so thought it was the normal sneeze after eating scratch. Yesterday it became more frequent but didn’t sound bad. Today it sounds “wetter” and crackly at the end but not the worst I’ve seen. I picked her up and I cannot hear wheezing, but hear the crackle like sound at the end of the sneeze. Eyes look fine, absolutely no other symptom.

Today, mama’s eye is slightly swollen. No discharge no sneezing. But noticed she did scratch once on both sides, not respectively.

I have them both separated now. Gotta figure out what to do with the rest of the chicks because the 2nd mom abandoned them today and has been giving them slight pecks to let them know.

I hope once it dawns on her Steggy is not around she will adopt them again.

It was VERY muggy today. This afternoon noticed some slight open mouth breathing from the chick.

I have Denegard, and VetRX, Teramycin, Corid, all in my first aid kit.

What should I try? How do I dose for mom vs chick?

Here’s a video of mom and chick today.

Any ideas, suggestions - I suspect one of 2 things - it’s been super muggy, I switched to sand in the coop instead of pine shavings and since it’s been hard for me to figure out the ventilation, even though there are 2 pretty big square windows in the front and 2 up high vents on the side for a draft.

Second thing - my neighbor got rid of her foul, however, it stunk to high heaven! Although her birds never ended up getting sick, she was in a divorce and then animals went. Haven’t been there in 2 months - they brought rats. We’ve been struggling even though we take out the food nightly, they still come and check. I’m in the process of putting hardware cloth down bc apparently 4 feet under on both sides is moot when there are tunnel
systems. Getting there putting it on the bottom.

Anyway, what do I do here? Dosing? Administration? Right meds? Help!?!

My white silkie looking chick came down with a repeated sneeze 2 days ago. I noticed it at night so thought it was the normal sneeze after eating scratch. Yesterday it became more frequent but didn’t sound bad. Today it sounds “wetter” and crackly at the end but not the worst I’ve seen. I picked her up and I cannot hear wheezing, but hear the crackle like sound at the end of the sneeze. Eyes look fine, absolutely no other symptom.

Today, mama’s eye is slightly swollen. No discharge no sneezing. But noticed she did scratch once on both sides, not respectively.

I have them both separated now. Gotta figure out what to do with the rest of the chicks because the 2nd mom abandoned them today and has been giving them slight pecks to let them know.

I hope once it dawns on her Steggy is not around she will adopt them again.

It was VERY muggy today. This afternoon noticed some slight open mouth breathing from the chick.

I have Denegard, and VetRX, Teramycin, Corid, all in my first aid kit.

What should I try? How do I dose for mom vs chick?

Here’s a video of mom and chick today.

Any ideas, suggestions - I suspect one of 2 things - it’s been super muggy, I switched to sand in the coop instead of pine shavings and since it’s been hard for me to figure out the ventilation, even though there are 2 pretty big square windows in the front and 2 up high vents on the side for a draft.

Second thing - my neighbor got rid of her foul, however, it stunk to high heaven! Although her birds never ended up getting sick, she was in a divorce and then animals went. Haven’t been there in 2 months - they brought rats. We’ve been struggling even though we take out the food nightly, they still come and check. I’m in the process of putting hardware cloth down bc apparently 4 feet under on both sides is moot when there are tunnel
systems. Getting there putting it on the bottom.

Anyway, what do I do here? Dosing? Administration? Right meds? Help!?!
I would first up the vitamins. We use Poultry Cell, but there are several.

VetRX can treat minor resp issues, and you can try some under each wing and on their beak by their nostrils. I've also read to put that in their water, but it floats, so not sure who makes that work successfully.

The humidity could be causing this, so is there a way to put a fan in one window to blow out so fresh air comes in? We use horse bedding pellets for the floor, and that, I believe, is the best way to keep the coop the driest with no odors. It absorbs the poops or any water drips. We do nothing to them, so zero maintenance is a bonus. If you have open water in your coop, you may want to consider a nipple waterer. We made a DYI out of a 5-gallon bucket and horizontal nipples we bought on Amazon. We had a couple drops of RV water freshener to it to keep it crystal clean.

The terramycin you have might help the hen's eyes, but that's probably due to respiratory issues as well.

Denagard I know can treat this, but I'd hate to be giving them any antibiotic if it's due to other things and might just pass. If they are degrading, I certainly would, though.

Sounds like the dosage is 1 tablespoon per gallon of water and to put some apple juice as part of the water or add sugar as it has a bitter taste to them and will help them drink it.

Back
Top Bottom