Gaping Vent, Feather Loss, Yellow vent area, Death WARNING GRAPHIC PIC

** rushing to post before losing power yet again, so I apologize if this information is too late, or no longer relevant to your situation ***

You're gonna wanna google 'cloacal cannibalism' for a better understanding of what's goin' on here.

I wanna make a clear distinction here, 'cause I knew as soon as I saw this thread that it'd attract some strong opinions: Those of us that name our chickens measure in square footage, whereas those that successfully raise commercial flocks measure stock density in square inches ... your own flock was at 414 square inches, which is a bit more than broilers of this size require to simply stretch both wings, and with over a 30% mortality rate, it would seem that there's now plenty of room. However, I've seen the research notes from a study which clearly indicates that the behavior is adopted by others that have seen it, and thinking logically? Those most responsible are almost certainly still in there.

Had a detailed, and well documented, report literally ready to submit when the storms knocked out the power; was gonna give the 'cliffs notes' version, only to lose power again. SoOo ... this is a *really* short version ... I'd be glad to locate the documentation that supports my comments/suggestions, and provide you with those links I'd planned to before.

At this moment? Preventing the remaining flock from continuing this behavior is the primary concern. To do that, I think you should first remove any injured birds, and then divide that 144 sq. ft. into as many smaller areas as is practical ... that way, you'll have the ability to weed out those responsible (which, by now, may be the majority )-;~

I hate to say it, but your birds are now taught that this is a food source. You can keep the birds, try to ID the culprits, and risk missing one, or you can cull the flock and start over with closer supervision.

This may have been caused by

1) Overcrowding

2) Lack of access to food

3) Diet missing vital nutrients

4) Or antisocial / bullying behavior taken to extreme.

I'm not a commercial farmer, I'm a backyard chicken guy. I have my 7 girls in a 10 X 10 dog kennel, and from the behavior that I see now in my girls, its obviously maxed out. I cant imagine 20 adult Rhodie island red chickens in that space and not having tons of issues with behavioral problems, disease, etc. You've got 50 in a 12 x 12 space and now you have the thankless task of putting down not only injured half eaten birds, but the healthy Mal adjusted birds that are causing the problem.

I agree with the previous poster, chickens are cheap. I would cull the entire flock, disinfect everything with bleach, and start over with much closer supervision.

I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles

Riki

I had 15 birds die this weekend. They all had the same symptom gaping vents where you could see their organs. I had another one die today. I don't see maggots. I also have one with a yellowish behind. Many are losing their feathers under their wings and near their vent. Can anyone help?
sad.png

Edited to add, these are 7 week old Ranger Broilers. They are being raised in a portable pen. They are fed organic feed.
This is a typical mistake by a novice believing that they could jam that many chickens in such a small space. These birds have no flock structure, and nothing else to do but peck at their flock mates due to being vastly overcrowded. Who in heaven's name gave you the 3 sq ft per bird ratio? Most people call these "Freedom Rangers" for a reason. Either process them now to end their suffering, or turn them loose. This is inhumane.

Your flock is spiraling out of control. Cannibalism is difficult to control once it starts. overcrowding is a huge contributor to this behavior. Correct your overcrowding and then throw some cat food on the ground. Spray all off them with no pick solution you get at your local livestock store (carefully apply it around the vent area feathers not getting it in vent). Make sure feeders, waterers, or roosts are positioned where chickens below are attracted to pick at vents of the chicken above.

Quote:
I'll have to challenge that statement for truth....can you provide some data to back that up? I've never read this on any studies done on ACV and have been using ACV for years to promote good bowel flora..and it shows. My flocks are always healthy and have never had any illness while under my care.

Just want to point out that the original post was made in 2008... 4 years ago. I'm going to bet that what ever has happened has already happened... like 4 years ago.
yeah but Im guessing its not the first nor will it be the last time something like that happens, it doesnt hurt to revive the threads so that folks who have never seen it or wouldnt want to post photos like that get a good look at what can happen and may have a little better chance at diagnosing what the problem is or not making the mistake in the first place. So many references give you average stocking densities and totally fail to discuss differences in breed behavior, the effect nutritional demand can have on some of these things, subclinical diseases in flocks and their results etc.

Back
Top Bottom