Garage and rooster infested with mites from bedding

Jenjens

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
IL
Hello,

I have an injured rooster we are keeping in the garage to heal right now. My husband bought a new bag of bedding that we put in his crate, only to find out that it and now he, and the garage is infested with some type of small black mites. It is so bad, all I do is walk in to refill his water and they are already crawling all over me. The bag and bedding was thrown in the fire pit, but they are now in my garage....and it's bad.

I have powdered sulfur on the way, but I need to clear the mites out of the garage or else it wont do any good. Does anyone know any type of fogger I can use? It needs to be fogged out, I cannot spread premetherin all over because the garage is just loaded with stuff. I am using sulfur on my boy because it is natural and I heard it worked the best.

Anyone with any advice on this would be a very big help.
Thank you

I agree. You need to treat weekly for 3 or 4 weeks because it does not kill the pests eggs so repeated weekly treatments are necessary, Also there is no egg withdrawal period. Elector PSP will work too but again some say once and done but in their fact sheet also says repeat treatments may be needed and Elector is quite expensive. I mix the 0.50% solution of permethrin. Good luck...
Permethrin10ConcentrateMix.jpg
casportponyPermethrinChart.jpg

Attachments

• PoultryDust.jpg
    PoultryDust.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1
  • MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 2
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 2
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 2
Sulfur is supposedly very effective but it works slowly. Permethrin should be a much quicker kill to fix the issue right now, and then you can use sulfur to kill off any remaining survivors over the long run.

Reapply in 7-10 days. Two applications should be all you need. First kills the mites and second kills the mites that hatched. The newly hatched take time to mate and lay more eggs. If you are strict with second application in 7 days you'll be good.

Back
Top Bottom