Garage coop.

Attached garage? Don’t know if I’d do that. Detached garage? Maybe, if I wanted a TON of chickens. That’s a pretty large area and a LOT of room, at least with your standard suburban 2 car garage.

It's a detached garage thats a fair size and it's at the back of my garden away from the house. I was thinking of sectioning it off so there is room for me to keep my chickens and also use it as a bit of a man cave (keeping my tools and DIY gear).
If you did do that id make sure your side is sealed off from their side.

I used to know a guy in Indiana that did exactly what your saying. His was a 2 car garage. Something like 26' wide x 32' deep. He put a divider wall about 6' from the back & had an exterior door in the middle. It was split in 3 sections. Middle was the chicken storage room. Feed barrels, spare waterers, extra wire, bedding bales, etc. The two other sections where in the corners & those were seperate coops. Each had a window for summer ventilation and a chicken door he could close. The runs just connected to the back of the garage.
Pretty cool.
The front section stayed as a garage.

If you did do that id make sure your side is sealed off from their side.

I used to know a guy in Indiana that did exactly what your saying. His was a 2 car garage. Something like 26' wide x 32' deep. He put a divider wall about 6' from the back & had an exterior door in the middle. It was split in 3 sections. Middle was the chicken storage room. Feed barrels, spare waterers, extra wire, bedding bales, etc. The two other sections where in the corners & those were seperate coops. Each had a window for summer ventilation and a chicken door he could close. The runs just connected to the back of the garage.
Pretty cool.
The front section stayed as a garage.
That's a great idea. Good thinking on your friends behalf for the repair room to have its own section.
I would have it sectioned so that my side was seperate from theirs anyway as I wouldn't want them getting into my supplies.

If I was going to improve on his idea I would probably add a powered vent fan to cut down on dust and add an exterior door so I didn't have to wheelbarrow poo & bedding through the garage.
The really cool part was the walls & ceiling were insulated. In the winter when he drove home he just parked in the garage & tend the chickens without being in the cold.

I would agree with this. My chickens have a room that adjoins a workshop and even though there's only a 5 inch gap between the roof and the adjoining wall, the volume of dust that goes in to the workshop is unbelievable (and unpleasant). Also, the bigger and taller the space they are in the harder it is to get to all the cracks that can become hiding places for mites. On the plus side though it's good to be able to walk in to their space for cleaning etc.

We started our garage remodel today! It's a second detached garage for storage, mainly yard tools, extra lumber from projects, weve even got some rain gutters and steel roofing stored in there that I didnt know about 🤣 we are sectioning of a 7x14 area. Next weekend we will be tackling window install. You may have all ready started but thought I would share.

Attachments

• 20200525_201927.jpg
    20200525_201927.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200525_201729.jpg
    20200525_201729.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200525_195255.jpg
    20200525_195255.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom