Garden Progress

igorsMistress. I would be delighted to share pictures of my happy home. Your fur babies are gorgous and it would be wonderful to see more of them 😃 Thank you for making us feel so welcome
igorsMistress...Just gotta LOVE a pitty smile 😀 we have 2 dogs..Aundek our heart..Kalista his big sister and our joy..2 cats Tux the Ole Man..Storm a.k.a S**t Storm,Thunder Storm..2 Silkies a.k.a The Tweedles..8 Australorps lol I just call them 1 thru 7 the rooster is TND..tomorrow nights dinner.. lol cause hes a meanie and Im struggling about keeping him around. I live in Northern Ontario Canada..probably explains the spelling right there..My husband and I have 3.5 acres of which 2.5 are cleared and the rest is surrounding bush...we butt up against "Crown Land" which means no one can build there so to me it feels more like never ending. I love the outdoors..fishing is my favorite passtime..my fur babies,hubby,chickens and garden bring me much joy and Im an over zealous picture taker and proud to show them off. So please if I send to many or send the wrong pictures for our site let me know..I will stop. Please go ahead and send me any of your pictures. Im excited to know you better
20200527_191142.jpg
PICT0001.JPG
20200704_114137.jpg
20200704_114158.jpg
20200102_173119.jpg
20200527_191142.jpg
PICT0001.JPG
20200704_114137.jpg
20200704_114158.jpg
20200102_173119.jpg

That sounds like a paradise!

I love eating what I can grow but at least 75% of what I'm able to grow goes to the local critters. Corn grows well here but the squirrels can go through what's taken me months to grow in a single night.

This is an example of what I find on the stalk. It appears they hang upside down from the stalks and then just go to work on one ear after the other, sometimes cleaning an ear, sometimes just eating one side and then moving on to the next ear. :mad:

IMG_2437.jpeg

But, happily, I can at least give what's left of what we won't eat to the chickens. They enjoy it. And I enjoy growing things and anticipating what I will get to eat.

Last edited:
That sounds like a paradise!

I love eating what I can grow but at least 75% of what I'm able to grow goes to the local critters. Corn grows well here but the squirrels can go through what's taken me months to grow in a single night.

This is an example of what I find on the stalk. It appears they hang upside down from the stalks and then just go to work on one ear after the other, sometimes cleaning an ear, sometimes just eating one side. :mad:

View attachment 2256948

But, happily, I can at least give what's left of what we won't eat to the chickens. They enjoy it. And I enjoy growing things and anticipating what I will get to eat.
Oh those rascals..I dont have that issue..bugs yes..spiders yes..ants hell yes! the only thing squirals mice and voles eat around here is the insulation in the attic and sometimes an extention cord or two..bad enough but the cats and dogs help to keep them at bay

Lucky you, Kelly Owl!

I have the same issue with my tomatoes. They'll take a bite out of one and make it undesirable and then move on to the next tomato and do the same. The most frustrating is when they only bite on the back side and I think I have a ripe one ready for picking only to have it collapse in my hand when I grab hold of it. Yeeesh!!!

But I'm happy to say I'm having a good tomato year so far this year. I've tossed the chickens a few of those bitten fruit but I've brought in enough to enjoy and give away this time.

They've just started ripening in the last 2 days. This is Momotaro (a Japanese variety). The small red one. There are also Black Krim and Cherokee Carbons in this pic. Those 2 varieties are hard to tell apart. The large C-shaped on on the right is a Cherokee Carbon. And the larger, brighter one in the foreground is too, I think. The rest are Black Krim.

I love the intense flavor of the black tomatoes. And also the citrusy flavor of yellow tomatoes but I couldn't find a yellow seedling to plant this year.

IMG_2494.jpeg

But I suspect you have different varieties to choose from and to grow up there.

Lucky you, Kelly Owl!

I have the same issue with my tomatoes. They'll take a bite out of one and make it undesirable and then move on to the next tomato and do the same. The most frustrating is when they only bite on the back side and I think I have a ripe one ready for picking only to have it collapse in my hand when I grab hold of it. Yeeesh!!!

But I'm happy to say I'm having a good tomato year so far this year. I've tossed the chickens a few of those bitten fruit but I've brought in enough to enjoy and give away this time.

They've just started ripening in the last 2 days. This is Momotaro (a Japanese variety). The small red one. There are also Black Krim and Cherokee Carbons in this pic. Those 2 varieties are hard to tell apart. The large C-shaped on on the right is a Cherokee Carbon. And the larger, brighter one in the foreground is too, I think. The rest are Black Krim.

I love the intense flavor of the black tomatoes. And also the citrusy flavor of yellow tomatoes but I couldn't find a yellow seedling to plant this year.

View attachment 2257413

But I suspect you have different varieties to choose from and to grow up there.
IamRainy..lol you have much more knowledge of plants than I do. I plant what we want to have growing..dont really pay particular attention to breeds. Just try to grow what appeals to us...I can tell a tomotoe from lettuce lol peionie from sunflower but species to species..ummm well there Im at a loss. I do get much joy from the garden and chickens much more from all the fur babies and hubby. Mostly I fill my time with ALL the happenings of the day

I'm in the Los Angeles area. It's there in my ID info to the left of the text screen. <------ Last line under my avatar. It's always there. ...unless people don't supply that info. Lots don't. ... but you did; and I did.

As I said, I'm a world away from Ontario but then I learned to garden from my grandfather who was a Métis from one of the Eastern Provinces migrated down to Coastal Maine.

I really don't know much about gardening at all! I just keep trying. And I talk about it because that's how I find folks like you and folks who are ready to tell me what I've got all wrong. 🤣 That's how I learn.

I actually joined a gardening club this year. I've enjoyed it very much. Then yesterday I got a call from another member. She's the only other one that grows veggies. While we were talking she confided in me that the others grow a flower or two but we're the only real gardeners. 😂 It's so funny that no one thinks they know what they're doing and is intimidated by everyone else.

I see you're new here. I'd be delighted to be your friend but I suspect you'll find that this is an extremely welcoming and friendly group. There's also a contingent who discuss gardening. Something like "what I did in the garden today". You can look for that topic as well.

We also share a small Canadian connection. I've been lucky enough to live in Vancouver for several extended periods of time. I LOVE Vancouver and we really treasure our time there. It was my husband's and my hope that we would one day retire to BC but that was before the annexation of Honk Kong and the Olympics woke the world up to what a fabulous place it was and sent the real estate prices SOARING!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom