Garden Progress

Kelly Owl

Chirping
Jul 1, 2020
Massey Ontario Canada
Hello my BYC friends. Been a busy week for me. Did some dog sitting..some fishing...some blueberry picking..as well as water collection...watering and weeding Ive been watching everything take off in the garden..the peppers are rocking..no flowers yet..cucumbers have started to flower....the lettuce is being used in salads and hubbys lunches..tomatoes are bursting the cages..I have a tiny tim that is so dence..maybe a hands breathe tall but its the only one bearing fruit yet..beets are still struggling as well as the beans..but the potatoes are taking over..planted 3 rows and they have overgrown the carrots..the cat and dogs think they are a help in the garden..my tweedles (the silkies) have laid me an egg each per day...I was going to hatch some but they are not brooding so I collected those to make everyone some scrambled eggs as a snack...the big girls keep giving me around 6-7 eggs and Ive left 6 to maybe be hatched..Im not sure my rooster is fertile.I can tell you hes a bully and well if he keeps attacking me...anyway its been a super busy fun week. Here are some pictures of the progress😉 hope everyone enjoys a blessed day
20200720_205825.jpg
20200720_205837.jpg
20200720_205856.jpg
20200720_205913.jpg
20200720_205925.jpg
20200720_205945.jpg
20200102_173043.jpg
20200718_214922.jpg

I know you've been on the gardening thread, it'd be great if you'd stop by once in a while! We all share pics and go off topic in there and no one gets upset about it.

We have bullies too, 2 of them. This is on our way home from playing at the park, hope you don't mind that I'm sharing :oops:
20200516_083034.jpg

What a lovely generous size garden you have! I live on a small 1/2 acre urban lot that I share with my chickens. I have 3 crowded 3'x3' raised boxes for veggies and then I squeeze things in amidst the landscaping where I can.

My growing conditions are quite different too. I'm in hot and sunny Southern California so I have shorter days but a longer season. I won't be able to plant lettuce for a few months and it makes me crazy that I can't grow lettuce and tomatoes at the same time!

What we appear to have in common is blueberries. I put in 3 bushes 3 years ago and I've been adding to it as I can come up with new varieties. As you can guess, the varieties available to me in this hot climate are quite limited. Still, I couldn't be happier that I took the leap. They're doing fine. They're rather attractive shrubs apart from the fruit and, surprisingly, the birds and other "visitors" leave them alone for the most part so it's one of the things in my garden I can count on most consistently for production.

To have my blueberries I have to add large volumes of acid soil mix and sand to my alkaline clay soil every year but It's still worth it and I think I have about achieved a good drainable acid medium in which the bushes can go on to thrive.

I know you've been on the gardening thread, it'd be great if you'd stop by once in a while! We all share pics and go off topic in there and no one gets upset about it.

We have bullies too, 2 of them. This is on our way home from playing at the park, hope you don't mind that I'm sharing :oops:
View attachment 2255904
igorsMistress. I would be delighted to share pictures of my happy home. Your fur babies are gorgous and it would be wonderful to see more of them 😃 Thank you for making us feel so welcome

What a lovely generous size garden you have! I live on a small 1/2 acre urban lot that I share with my chickens. I have 3 crowded 3'x3' raised boxes for veggies and then I squeeze things in amidst the landscaping where I can.

My growing conditions are quite different too. I'm in hot and sunny Southern California so I have shorter days but a longer season. I won't be able to plant lettuce for a few months and it makes me crazy that I can't grow lettuce and tomatoes at the same time!

What we appear to have in common is blueberries. I put in 3 bushes 3 years ago and I've been adding to it as I can come up with new varieties. As you can guess, the varieties available to me in this hot climate are quite limited. Still, I couldn't be happier that I took the leap. They're doing fine. They're rather attractive shrubs apart from the fruit and, surprisingly, the birds and other "visitors" leave them alone for the most part so it's one of the things in my garden I can count on most consistently for production.

To have my blueberries I have to add large volumes of acid soil mix and sand to my alkaline clay soil every year but It's still worth it and I think I have about achieved a good drainable acid medium in which the bushes can go on to thrive.
IamRainy. Thankyou. I live in Northern Ontario Canada on 3.5 acres..LOL ya my garden which is 24' x 40' sometimes feels daunting with the weeding and watering...I have very sandy soil and a late growing season. I do what I can and alot of the time Im surprised by what will grow..never have luck with corn it only grows very small and never finishes. I have 2 dogs..2 cats..8 Australorps..and 2 Silkies. The blueberries are wild as well as the strawberries raspberries blackberries and choke cherries and in the right season they florish here. My garden chickens dogs and cats are my sanity and I spend lots of time with them lol although the hubby may disagree with the sanity. I hope you have a wonderful day 😀 nice to meet you IamRainy

Back
Top Bottom