Red eyes, swollen looking chest, and yellow foamy poop.

Deekaulfers7

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2024
I need help. Yes I want to take to vet but haven’t found one near me yet. I am only 6 months into raising my babies and they really are like my babies this is killing me seeing them ill. One of my coops is fine the other for the past 2 days 4 of the 9 chickens in there have been “sneezing”, pooping very soft and today it was yellow and foamy (no apparent worms tho), and now one my girls has red eyes and what looks like a swollen chest. I have rushed my husband to buy vet rx and some electrolytes I’ve also started with oregano oil and apple cider vinegar and pre/probiotic. I don’t know what else to do. Up until now everyone has been great and healthy. Note: everyone is still eating well, drinking, pecking about, and laying. But I’m still very worried and don’t want to wait until something bad happens to react. They are in a chicken run with a wooden coop and chicken wire it’s covered on top and open on bottom. Like a dog kennel style only with chicken wire and built in roost and nesting boxes.

Attachments

• 524774B9-5350-4500-98FF-59F539F79E6F.jpeg
    524774B9-5350-4500-98FF-59F539F79E6F.jpeg
    708.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 2F7F14E3-28FD-429C-8C30-A420F9CB62C1.jpeg
    2F7F14E3-28FD-429C-8C30-A420F9CB62C1.jpeg
    735.5 KB · Views: 4
I'm very sorry to hear this. Vet rx(snake oil), acv, probiotics and Oregano won't help this.
Any new birds?
Also what would you suggest I do then if none of that can help? I really hope I can find an aviary vet or any vet that will see chickens at this point

It sounds like the new chickens have a respiratory disease. There are several, but the red foamy eye and sneezing may be MG (mycoplasma gallisepticum.) It can make them carriers. If they are eating and drinking well, they don’t need the additives in their water, not will they help. Tylosin is an antibiotic that may help decrease symptoms. Flush the eye with saline eye wash, and apply Terramycin eye ointment from the feed store. Use Neosporin if you can’t get Terramycin. Get Tylosin from Jedds here:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon for 5 days. There is no egg withdrawal.

Back
Top Bottom