Swollen eye

Hcspruill

Hatching
Feb 14, 2024
Hi all, this baby girl was one of 6 I bought last weekend, so she’s maybe a week old. She’s usually kind of blah, compared to the others, but eating/drinking/pooping and casually running around with the others. She’s kept this eye closed since we got her, but just today it started looking like this. What can I do for her? I’ve already dosed some Vet Rx. And they have ACV/electrolytes in their water. I assume I should separate her as well, all the others seem fine so far. Thanks for any help!
IMG_5245.jpeg
IMG_5246.jpeg

Poor thing! I would treat her same as if it was one of my adults. Rinse it with saline solution and put Terramycin ointment in its eye. I'd keep it separate though so the others don't peck it.

To make a saline solution for wounds, you can:
Boil one cup of water with a lid on for 15 minutes
Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature
Add half a teaspoon of salt and stir until dissolved
Pour the solution into a jar or bottle and cover

You can also add eight teaspoons of table salt to one gallon of distilled water to make a saline solution.

I second what was said. You can get terramycin without a prescription at some feed stores and tractor supply stores. That will hopefully prevent or take care of any infection. When you flush with the saline, make sure there is no pus in there, remove it if there is, and make sure the chick is completely dry after, so it doesn't get chilled. It may have been pecked, chicks will peck at anything, and could have happened during shipping. Hopefully the eye isn't too damaged and she'll be able to see. If not, then she can adapt, but you will need to keep an eye on her to make sure she's not bullied. She'll be at a disadvantage since she can't see from that side.

IMG_5261.jpeg
IMG_5260.jpeg
So I’ve done the saline and erythromycin ointment a few times, looks worse to me. Terrible pics, but that yellow ball isn’t ooey gooey like pus, moves around like it’s the actual eyeball? What can I do? Thanks for any help!

Chicken pus is not runny or gooey, it's firmer, kind of cheesy (they lack an enzyme that makes it liquidy). When it's in the eye it can sometimes adhere to the eye. I will attach a link below to another thread, it looks very, very similar to yours. It can be removed, it may take a fair amount of flushing, and you can use a q tip, something that you can try to get it gently separated around the edges so it will come off. Some manipulation can also help loosen it. You can use your ointment as well to lubricate the eye and that may help also. Just go slowly and try not to damage the eye. The link below also shows what it looked like when they got it out. Once it's all out then your ointment can do it's job. I know it can be uncomfortable dealing with an eye, but it has to be done. If you have another pair of hands to help hold the chick, it would be very helpful and make it easier.
This link says "eye worm", which is not pertinent, it's the pus removal that's the thing:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...orm-stubborn-film-on-my-chickens-eye.1446563/
There are also videos on youtube showing pus removal from chickens eyes (happens more than you think), and it will give you a better idea of what their pus looks like.

So it’s been 4 days, there no more swelling, she’s not opening her eye though, seems as if there’s no eyeball now? Could that even happen? She’s running around, eating, drinking, pooping, but not growing very much. She’s probably half the size as the other chick of the same breed. Any idea what’s going on? Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom