Garden updates.....let's hear yours!

Hencackle You have to cut the grass What grass. Our grass went and died months ago. We are down over 14 inches for the year and this is our rainy season. Our neighbors are away for 4 months and they called and asked if their yard needed cutting. We told them no it hasn't grown any since you left. I am having trouble keeping everything wet as well I kinda gave up I'll tend what left in the garden but I am not replanting until fall. Micki

On another forum I visit from time to time a friend mentioned that she hadn't had any squash bugs for the first time in several years.

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, a year with no squash bugs is a great thing. Wish I could say things we all that good.

I've also been invaded (sqash, zukes, cukes, and pumpkins) with Squash Vine Borers. They're nasty little pieces of work, I tell you.

You have to slit the stems longwise and dig out the little white worm that you almost need a microscope to see, cover over the part othe stem you cut with soil, and pray that roots start growing from there.

So far so good, but it was looking like a very sad Halloween was going to be in my future with no pumpkin crop. That would just be really irritating. I think I got to them in time though.

It figures the year I want to eliminate most of my lawn and plant a whole lot of fruits, veggies, and flowers, I have to fight the battle of the nasities everyday. I almost am ready to give up on being completely organic. . . almost. On the good side, since I got a bee hive, I'm seeing a lot of bees around pollinating everything like crazy.

Mark

Last edited:
I PICKED MY FIRST REAL TOMATOE!!!!!!!!!SUMMER IS OFFICIALLY HERE!!!
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

I am soooo jealous! I counted 29 squash on my plants though about 1- 1 1/2 inches long now . my corn has its feathers ? on the top my tomatoes are green and the haed lettuce I have given up on. evrything else is good the peas will be ready within 2 weeks I think. ErinM

Anybody start their veggie gardens from heirloom seeds this yr? I couldnt find any locally so had to go with started plants or hybrids ugh. All i found on the internet was such a large qty, i dont need THAT many lol. If so where did you get em from?

Forrest

Quote:
I lay mine out on a baking stone, set the oven for approx 200. In about 45 min (give or take) I have nice dry herbs. I let them cool, rosemary and some large leaf herbs like basil I will grind in a mill. Be sure to store them in a dark dry place.

Quote:
I am growing heirloom tomatoes. We planted some vegetable seeds and nothing ever came of them. We spent a fair amount on some of the seeds. With the 0% germination I don't think I will be as willing next year to cough up my $$ again for those seeds.

Quote:
I am growing heirloom tomatoes. We planted some vegetable seeds and nothing ever came of them. We spent a fair amount on some of the seeds. With the 0% germination I don't think I will be as willing next year to cough up my $$ again for those seeds.

How did you start your seeds? I found the best method to get one plant per cup is to put them all on a soaking shop towl inside a large ziploc bag and keep ina warm place for 3 days. Only then do I pick out the seeds that have germinated and set them in the yoghurt cups under grow lights. I find if I directly plant tomato seeds in the dirt in the cups, only about half make it at all.

Back
Top Bottom