Garden Vegatables, some they love some they dont

Chicken_Hubster

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Dillsburg, PA
So we have noticed that our chickens love old lettuce but they don't seem to cobble up the extra zucchini as much. Are there certain veggies they like better cooked i.e. zucchini? I guess it would make it easier to eat if it is softer.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Mine love zucchini too much. LOL They eat it right off the vine ever since the goose taught them how to. I'm lucky if I have any for me.

The softer it is the more they like it, but mine like peas and beans if they don't have to shell them! They love watermelon, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. but they prefer to have the watermelon or cucumbers broken up first. I give them all the old rotten stuff from the garden. They love it.

Tops on my flock's hit parade for veggies are cabbage and watermelon. Carrots were not a success at all. Lettuce, cucumbers, bell peppers and yogurt are also good.

I had 11 birds I raised from chick...very spoiled rotten chickens. They liked watermelon, grapes cherries, adore bread. We threw in corn cobs and they just look at them! Cukes the same way. A month ago I got three new birds, these guys were raised so differently from mine. I had my little Roo in with them and we threw in some corn cobs to the new birds. Holey Smokes it was like feast there was corn flying everywhere, with the Roo looking on stupidly. The next day we gave more corn to all of them and low and behold my old birds started eating it. I still can't get the new ones to eat bread though.

Mine will pick the zucchini and cukes right down to the rind but I have to slice them in half, lengthwise first and make sure they are cut side up. otherwise they will ignore them. Beet green and chard are a favorite as well and everyone loves H2Omellon.

Back
Top Bottom