A suggestion worth pondering..
Consider making your garden in raised beds.
Advantages; easier to control weeds. The perimeter will control the erosion of soil inside the contained area.
You also can use those horse tennis balls to enhance the nutrition source for the garden. Amish do it all the time.
That's kind of what I'm doing. I have cinderblocks all the way around, when I get it built up enough to be near the tops of them I will add another layer of blocks to a height of around 16 inches above natural level.

I just don't want to fork over the money to fill a 4x8 bed from scratch with potting soil so I'm adding a bale or so of peat moss and whatever compost I generate each year until it is built up. I will be gathering manure this winter and letting it rot down until next fall and adding it to the beds then.

I just don't want to fork over the money to fill a 4x8 bed from scratch with potting soil
Since you do have 11 acres, consider using some topsoil from an area that may have good quality. A tiller would be handy to first fluff it up, and then transfer it.
I'm of course not where you are, and just using my imagination. I would rototill an area, ,,,,, then fill with layer of horse manure, and till that into soil. Next year all would be amazing supply of potting quality soil. A tarp covering over the soil mound would prevent weeds from growing there.

Since you do have 11 acres, consider using some topsoil from an area that may have good quality. A tiller would be handy to first fluff it up, and then transfer it.
I'm of course not where you are, and just using my imagination. I would rototill an area, ,,,,, then fill with layer of horse manure, and till that into soil. Next year all would be amazing supply of potting quality soil. A tarp covering over the soil mound would prevent weeds from growing there.
Not a bad idea... if one had a tiller... lol

Our soil is heavy clay and pretty compacted. Now that the horses will be standing and pooping in 1 place a lot this winter I will gather manure for the garden. I'm just not going looking for it in the field. My whole property is also a hill, so that's fun too

from no snow to about 1" today.
I am going to make a kettle of BBQ venison ribs today. I make my sauce from scratch.
I cut the ribs into 1 1/2" long pieces. Then I simmer them until all of the fat dissolves.
Mix up the sauce, stir in the ribs so that each piece is covered with sauce and then bake them in the oven for about an hour..
.....jiminwisc......

has anyone decided what they're planting yet this coming spring? think i will go with the basic's again, the tried and true for me and maybe, just maybe, one of two new veggies
since we've been down here in defuniak, i planted english peas, well a dozen plants and six cucumbers, have to transplant the cucumbers yet, did the peas yesterday, planted some hot peppers but they haven't come up yet, thinking i will try the paper towel method so i can check to see whats going on with them
anyone else doing anything?

has anyone decided what they're planting yet this coming spring? think i will go with the basic's again, the tried and true for me and maybe, just maybe, one of two new veggies
since we've been down here in defuniak, i planted english peas, well a dozen plants and six cucumbers, have to transplant the cucumbers yet, did the peas yesterday, planted some hot peppers but they haven't come up yet, thinking i will try the paper towel method so i can check to see whats going on with them
anyone else doing anything?
My garden is currently growing in my living room. I had complained about not being able to get seeds for Northern Exposure tomatoes and another member pointed out that tomatoes can be cloned.
Northern_exposure_tomato_XC223772_12-22-2020-001.jpg
Northern_exposure_tomato_XC223774_12-22-2020-001.jpg
Northern_exposure_tomato_XC223775_12-22-2020-001.jpg
Northern_exposure_tomato_XC223776_12-22-2020-001.jpg
Northern_exposure_tomato_XC223777_12-22-2020-001.jpg
Northern_exposure_tomato_XC223778_12-22-2020-001.jpg
Northern_exposure_tomato_XC223786_12-22-2020-001.jpg
Northern_exposure_tomato_XC223787_12-22-2020-001.jpg

My garden is currently growing in my living room. I had complained about not being able to get seeds for Northern Exposure tomatoes and another member pointed out that tomatoes can be cloned.View attachment 2460658View attachment 2460660View attachment 2460661View attachment 2460662View attachment 2460663View attachment 2460664View attachment 2460666View attachment 2460667
interesting, i've bought iris's that were cloned but never thought about trying it myself, with my brain, might be to involved for me, as i age i tend to forget :idunno i think it runs in momma's side of the family

forgot, keep us in the know on how they do for you

Back
Top Bottom