@jvls1942 More Asparagus!! Wow, you must be thinking of starting a pick your own stand.

We finally got my little green house put up last weekend. The foundation was installed about 2 years ago, but the length was off by 9 inches and other projects got in the way of finishing it. Finally, DH found the time to adjust it and we actually worked together to install it - without any arguments/fights/bad feelings. The weather front that blew in the other day gave it a trial run - it had a couple of panels that were popping loose when I got home from work, but I just tapped them back into place and all was good. DH ordered self tapping screws which will prevent that issue from recurring again when they are installed.

I could see the storms raging to the north of us, luckily all we got was some wind and a touch of rain.

the storms missed us to the north and to the south. we got only a few minutes of rain.
However, we had rain all day on Thursday.
then it was supposed to freeze that night. I didn't cover any plants. I didn't think it would freeze. I was right. but last night I did cover. It froze pretty hard. There was still frost on the car at 8 AM.
The apple and plum trees are done blossoming, so I don't think they were damaged.
Now I can start my container garden.
.......jiminwisc.......

Good Monday morning,
four of the tiniest tomato plants took a hit from the freeze. Good thing I have larger identical plants..
my asparagus crowns were sprouting in the refrigerator, I took them outside and put them into pots until I can make a bed for them.
It might be to early, but it looks like at least two of my cherry cuttings are making roots. there are leaves forming on the tips.
........jiminwisc..........

AAAARRRRRRGGGGGG!!!!!
Went out to water the garden last night. Something, presumably rabbit, had mostly killed one of the 4 broccoli plants and did serious damage to 2 others, some damage to the remaining one. Plus some of the 4 brussel sprout plants and all of the 4 artichoke plants.

I have NEVER had anything other than cabbage moth caterpillars hit the brassica and it is way too early for them (plus it is clearly not their type of damage). And I have NEVER EVER had anything touch the artichokes.

I got chicken wire around those areas so I suppose I'll go out this morning and find the newly sprouted beans and cukes chomped. Never had a problem with them before either.

:mad:

AAAARRRRRRGGGGGG!!!!!
Went out to water the garden last night. Something, presumably rabbit, had mostly killed one of the 4 broccoli plants and did serious damage to 2 others, some damage to the remaining one. Plus some of the 4 brussel sprout plants and all of the 4 artichoke plants.

I have NEVER had anything other than cabbage moth caterpillars hit the brassica and it is way too early for them (plus it is clearly not their type of damage). And I have NEVER EVER had anything touch the artichokes.

I got chicken wire around those areas so I suppose I'll go out this morning and find the newly sprouted beans and cukes chomped. Never had a problem with them before either.

:mad:
I planted artichokes for the first time this year. The day after I put out the first two plants, I noticed a big bite taken out of one of the leaves. Right next to the plant was the imprint of a turkey track. Of course one of the hens has a hidden nest about 10' from the artichoke plant.

The turkeys have been snipping off the onion plants and in some cases burying the plants.

What is it with rabbits this year ? Everybody is being attacked. If not by rabbits, then the deer . I just planted two apple trees and two pear trees. I am holding my breathe.
I have three cherry trees in pots to get planted yet.
I have six tomatoes in pots and a raised bed of strawberries. I am seeing baby rabbits daily, but so far , they are leaving things alone. Probably because the plants are 2 feet above the ground.
I have 20 asparagus to get into the ground. I bet the rabbits are going to love them.
......jiminwisc.....

Back
Top Bottom