R2elk

When does first frost come into your area to wipe out most of the garden????
The first frost is usually the first weekend in September. I can usually save the garden until the end of September.

One year the first frost was Aug. 17th. One year it frosted the first weekend in September and again the first weekend in October and I was able to save the garden until the end of October.

Growing season usually ends with the first frost and then it is only ripening season.

It's not a contest. About half of them have been converted into 7 qts. of Hot Sweet pickles leaving another batch yet to deal with.
Sure it is! It’s us against the bugs, slugs and inclement weather! :gig Seriously, you do get incredible results considering you have such a short growing season. Do you use tunnels or a greenhouse?

My main challenge is voles.

I have a greenhouse to get an early start.
I have those too! I used to mulch the garden heavily with alfalfa hay or goat bedding, whichever was coming out of the barn. It just provided extra vole habitat and I haven’t been able to grow early peas in years. I still cover the dirt but not deep and heck I’d rather have stuff growing in it.

I have those too! I used to mulch the garden heavily with alfalfa hay or goat bedding, whichever was coming out of the barn. It just provided extra vole habitat and I haven’t been able to grow early peas in years. I still cover the dirt but not deep and heck I’d rather have stuff growing in it.
I am finding these to be really helpful with voles.

Kat Sense

I also use the all weather Bait Chunx that I stuff in their holes.

I rototill in the spring that at least temporarily destroys their nests and tunnels.

It smells so good.
20230830_190857.jpg
20230830_191140.jpg

Back
Top Bottom