Gardening Topic, when, how and is it still good?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by texascowboy1979, Jan 18, 2011.

1. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

So... In a nut shell, My tortoises are in there barn and not in there pasture. So the grass is having time to GROW...

I wanted to plant corn for them, corn with a barrakade so they dont eat it, but I can pick it for them, provided I get the corn to grow out of the ground. I have LOTS of Yellow Standard corn, but I wanted to know if a Corn on the Cob I have is any good...

1.5 years ago I took a Genetics Class, My professor gave me an ear of corn that looked just like this..

[​IMG]

It has 4 types of corn.
    Purple Wrinkled
    Purple Smooth
    Yellow Wrinkled
    Yellow Smooth.

The cob has been in my possesion for over a year, and I wanted to see if you guys thing they are still alive and will grow... Ideas?

2. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    I would give it a try. Take a few pieces off and try to germinate them. I would do at least four or six of each type I wanted to grow to how it does.

3. texascowboy1979

Well, online it said anywhere from 4 to 8 days for the corn to germinate.. is that right?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You can always just take some and put them in a plastic baggie on top of a sheet of moist towel in a warm place like on top of a fridge or on top of your computer. If they sprout, you can tell easily and you can still put them in the soil. Figure you'll see something happening in just a few days for fresh seeds, and potentially over a week on old seed. However, if that cob was "fresh" two years ago, I bet they are still viable.

5. texascowboy1979

So I went to the nursery to ask the owner about planting seeds, I asked what I seeds I can plant today so I can get crops... He said to plant Watermelon, Romain Lettuce, Squash and Corn... He also Said that the seeds I have on the colored corn should still be good and to give them a shot. So I Planted them all, corn, watermelon, romain, and squash. Lets see what Grows,

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    What are the daytime and nighttime temperatures in your area right now?

7. texascowboy1979

Right now, the temps are:

Night, 45 to 50 degrees
    Day, 65 to 75 degrees

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Nice, that's like or mid summer day's and nights! I usually plant seeds for corn when night time soil temp is almost 50.

9. chicnfarmer

chicnfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    that corn will grow - I've had ears of dried corn hanging in my house that grew after 2 years.

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Lucky you! That's almost tomato weather! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by