Gardening work on hold - snow everywhere

According to some info I read, artificial turf can increase the radiant heat as much as 6X compared to real grass. This leads to a heat island effect in areas where artificial turf is used. How much artificial turf actually increases the heat was not discussed, so when you read things like 6X, you have to ask yourself how much the temp is affected. Also, it ignores the benefits of artificial turf such as never needing to be watered, which I think should be a major consideration if the town is on water restrictions.
Well, radiant heat increase can be a big deal, I suppose-particularly in hot areas. In addition, wonder if there is chemical off-gassing that can occur. Hmm, native plants, sand, rocks sound like better options then.

Well, radiant heat increase can be a big deal, I suppose-particularly in hot areas. In addition, wonder if there is chemical off-gassing that can occur. Hmm, native plants, sand, rocks sound like better options then.

I think it is hard to improve on nature. Unfortunately, we humans think that we need a green lawn in front of our desert home in Las Vegas, NV, for example. Maybe it's just a status symbol, but everyone in the neighborhood of my aunt and uncle in Las Vegas had beautiful green lawns. You don't see green lawn grass growing anywhere else out there in the desert. I can only imagine how much water it takes to keep a green lawn out there in desert areas where people now live.

Back
Top Bottom