Gardening work on hold - snow everywhere

gtaus

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Mar 29, 2019
Northern Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
:idunno We have had a few weeks of snow free weather outside here in northern Minnesota. I've been busy outside cleaning up the lawn getting off all the dead branches that fell to the ground over the winter. Got my riding lawn mowers tuned-up and running, although the grass is not yet growing. Picked up some more free pallets to make a larger compost bin compound - increasing from 3 bins to 7 bins. Decided to increase my gardening to include raised beds in the back yard closer to the chicken coop and run. I have a couple of new raised garden beds half built out in the garage. They will be made with a wood frame, but with galvanized sheet panels for the sides. Wood is just too expensive this year. Anyway, woke up this morning to see 2 inches of snow on the ground covering everything outside. Snowing as I post this message. Weather forecast for snow for the next 3 days. Looks like everything garden related on pause for the rest of this week. The snow won't last long this time of year, but, still, bummer.....

Nice. I think we have at least 2 times snow on the back of a robin
I've never heard this before.

I think we get "spring" for a few afternoons when it's too early to plant. Then the weather regresses and Mother Nature says, "Haha! Fooled you again!"

Real spring arrives about 5 hours before my husband says it's too hot.

We didn’t get as much snow as you but we will be getting one more snow according to an old saying... Spring officially comes after it snows three times on a Robin’s back. The snow we got last night/right now is only the second time. We are forecasted to get more snow next week.

Real spring arrives about 5 hours before my husband says it's too hot.

:lau That's about right. In northern Minnesota, we brag about having all 4 Seasons. We have winter, June, July and August! What more could you ask for?

Or, if you like sports, we have hockey season followed by 3 months of bad ice....

We just had a dusting of it on the ground, trees, and fences yesterday morning, but mid morning brought huge fluffy flakes. Luckily it didn't stick. Then, late in the afternoon, some strange orange thing appeared in the sky. It didn't stay long.

Screenshot_20210413-131037_Facebook.jpg

Either way, it's a win for me: No grubs = good for the garden. Grubs = free food for the chickens. Same with the beetles.

Yes, working with nature is just a better way to live. I plant crops every year and, depending on the weather, some do well while others don't. Next summer might be just the opposite.

Last summer I made a really nice stuffed baked Zucchini for the first time for Dear Wife. I was really proud of my effort because I don't do much of the cooking at home. The Zucchini looked absolutely great. Problem was the cheese I used was bad/old and it tasted awful. But the chickens loved it. So I salvaged a partial win out of that fiasco. That was a lot of time and effort for some chicken feed, but at least it did not go into the garbage can.

my sympathies... T. S. Eliot was right: April is the cruelest month.

Well, I knew I was overly optimistic about an early spring. Felt just great to have a few weeks in late March - early April that were snow free and above average temps. Got a good jump start on cleaning up around the yard when the weather was nice. Today, almost all the snow from Monday night-Tuesday morning is gone as the snowfall was followed up by light rain.

Looking forward to getting another load or two of free wood chips in the next weeks. Then I'll be able to clean out coop from the winter build up. Already got the free pallets to make some more compost bins. Just need some sunny days in a row to dry everything up.

Oh, I know what you mean. I rake a lot of dead grass thatch out of our field, and the warm spell a couple of weeks ago was PERFECT for that. Bugs weren't out yet, sun was warm, breeze was cool, and this year's grass hadn't started growing much yet.

Sometimes I weed on my hands and knees, working my way down the fence. I get a lot done when the ground is damp enough to pull the weeds, but not soaking wet and cold.

I haven't seen any grubs yet. I don't know if it's too early, or if my war against Japanese Beetles was so ferocious that I got most of the beetles and they didn't lay eggs to make grubs. Either way, it's a win for me: No grubs = good for the garden. Grubs = free food for the chickens. Same with the beetles.

Back
Top Bottom