Gardenwarrior from down on the farm

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gardenwarrior, Jun 27, 2016.

1. gardenwarrior

gardenwarrior New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    My husband and I live on a hobby farm and have been raising chickens for the past 7 years. Along the way we have had a few of everything, turkeys, 3 different breeds of ducks, guinea hens, meat chickens and laying hens.

This year we have 6 Iza Brown laying hens, they lay wonderful brown eggs. In the spring I bought a pair of Serama chickens. They are so cute. I guess the female got to cold and she died on me, was very upset over that. The rooster is quite happy with the laying hens. I don't have any other roosters so he crows away and rules the roost. I also have 2 Columbian Rocks not laying yet. They are going to be big birds, way bigger than I thought. We also have 12 - 2 week old meat chicks, doing really well.

In a second pen we have 2 pair of guinea hens. The one is sitting off and on, hoping for some babies.

I became interested in this web site when my Serama hen was sick. I was looking for information to nurse her back to health. I put her in with the meat chicks where there was a heat lamp. Gave her a syringe of water every couple hours. She lasted 3 days but never did look any better [​IMG]

Yes I am the gardenwarrior with my husbands help of course. We have 4 gardens, corn, potatoes, giant pumpkins, and then veggies. We have a hoop house, this year 12 potted tomato plants and 3 pots of cucs in there, have a huge problem with blight in the gardens. We also have a 5'X16' pool in there, I like the water temp at 82...lol. A huge tree line perennial bed and 5 other smaller flower beds. Our farm looks like a park with huge 80 yr old maple trees and pine trees.

We have 3 married children, one son and 2 daughters and 6 grand children, oldest is a boy 13 and the rest are girls. My husband is a heavy equipment mechanic and I'm home on the farm. We love to travel and take a 30 day vacation every winter.

Looking forward to reading the wealth of information on the Back Yard Chicken web site......Brenda[​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Your farm sounds wonderful, with all those old trees and the chickens of course [​IMG] I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your Serama hen. It's so sad when we grow fond of them and something like this happens.

I was wondering if you'd be interested in our sister forum, TheEasyGarden.com? Much smaller forum than BYC, but a truly wonderful group of people, many you'll find over here as well. Enjoy the site and we'll see you on the forum!

3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Welcome Welcome
    [​IMG]

I'm about to experience the whole empty nest thing soon. Being enthusiastic to taking vacations someday soon when my youngest graduates from college.
    Son 23, daughter 18.

Farming is a good life - hoping someday to actually get one of my gardens to produce but I have time still.
    Caroline

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The meat chicks may have prevented her from getting anything to eat. They are total pigs and generally eat constantly. My friend has house chickens - 2 serama hens and one silkie. She has had the seramas for years and they are quite robust while she has lost 3 silkies in that time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by