Garlic As Worm Treatment/Preventative

Pics

45lk9p459gm-w

Songster
Jan 5, 2021
I just read a piece that promotes garlic as a natural way to treat and prevent worms in chickens. Supposedly just by placing a few garlic cloves in the drinking water will release sulfur and something else that I can't remember now. This is supposed to take care of the worms and help to prevent them in the first place.

Has anyone had any experience with this method of worm treatment?

I think garlic is toxic to chickens but I'm not sure.
Not sure either but I'm looking into it. .... There's a list on here somewhere :he

Edit: Apparently garlic is used a lot to support the health of chickens. But I didn't find anything that stated it did anything for worms.

I guess we wait and see if we get any answers ......

Last edited:
In small doses it should be fine. In large qualities its known to cause damage. I know a couple members who feed garlic in small amounts for worm prevention.
Below is a good article for dogs on natural worming options. I think Pumpkin seeds is suggested as well.
Heres an article, its for dogs but I'm guessing the remedy can be used for birds as well.
https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/everyday-foods-to-get-rid-of-dog-worms/

In small doses it should be fine. In large qualities its known to cause damage. I know a couple members who feed garlic in small amounts for worm prevention.
Below is a good article for dogs on natural worming options. I think Pumpkin seeds is suggested as well.
Heres an article, its for dogs but I'm guessing the remedy can be used for birds as well.
https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/everyday-foods-to-get-rid-of-dog-worms/
Good article ..... I believe I might start giving the hens some pumpkin seed for a small treat and see if anything develops.

Good article ..... I believe I might start giving the hens some pumpkin seed for a small treat and see if anything develops.

I've tried both garlic and pumpkin seeds but I think they're more of preventative boosters as I still see worms in my chook poop after that. A couple of weeks ago, I used wormwood for treatment by giving my 5 chooks three 5-inch long leaves & stems cut finely (1/2 inch lengths) for a period of 7 days ad lib mixed in with their vegetable scraps and they've purged out worms after around day 3 - 4. They can see what they're eating so they can choose to consume it or not and I haven't seen any adverse effect of the herb on my chooks so perhaps wormwood is a better natural alternative. I wouldn't treat them all the time - just twice a year from what I've read in an online article.

I've tried both garlic and pumpkin seeds but I think they're more of preventative boosters as I still see worms in my chook poop after that. A couple of weeks ago, I used wormwood for treatment by giving my 5 chooks three 5-inch long leaves & stems cut finely (1/2 inch lengths) for a period of 7 days ad lib mixed in with their vegetable scraps and they've purged out worms after around day 3 - 4. They can see what they're eating so they can choose to consume it or not and I haven't seen any adverse effect of the herb on my chooks. Perhaps wormwood is a better natural alternative. I wouldn't treat them all the time - just twice a year from what I've read in an online article.
Thats good to know! That article has a LOT of different suggestions, wormwood is one of them. Its good to know that wormwood works well. :D

I've tried both garlic and pumpkin seeds but I think they're more of preventative boosters as I still see worms in my chook poop after that. A couple of weeks ago, I used wormwood for treatment by giving my 5 chooks three 5-inch long leaves & stems cut finely (1/2 inch lengths) for a period of 7 days ad lib mixed in with their vegetable scraps and they've purged out worms after around day 3 - 4. They can see what they're eating so they can choose to consume it or not and I haven't seen any adverse effect of the herb on my chooks so perhaps wormwood is a better natural alternative. I wouldn't treat them all the time - just twice a year from what I've read in an online article.
I will be doing a lot of reading on this subject. I don't have a worm problem with this flock yet but I know its only a matter of time before they show up. A good preventative would be an awesome start.

Back
Top Bottom