Garlic for deworming?

Garlic will do little to keep worms away, and actually is dangerous if given to birds in higher amounts. The sulfuric compounds of garlic can, and has been noted as causing rupturing of RBC's (hemolysis) which can subsequently lead to anemia and death. The problem is, you have studies addressing the benefits of garlic, but they tend not to address the potentially deadly factors associated with feeding garlic to birds. I don't see why people risk it.

https://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/onions.html#:~:text=Because birds have nucleated red,affects of Heinz body hemolysis.&text=If enough RBCs are ruptured,this will result in anemia.

https://avianexoticsvet.com/10-ever...o-birds/#:~:text=5.,geese and other pet birds.

Garlic will do little to keep worms away, and actually is dangerous if given to birds in higher amounts. The sulfuric compounds of garlic can, and has been noted as causing rupturing of RBC's (hemolysis) which can subsequently lead to anemia and death. The problem is, you have studies addressing the benefits of garlic, but they tend not to address the potentially deadly factors associated with feeding garlic to birds. I don't see why people risk it.

https://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/onions.html#:~:text=Because birds have nucleated red,affects of Heinz body hemolysis.&text=If enough RBCs are ruptured,this will result in anemia.
Wow, well they just had a few small cloves to themselves. They loved it, but won't be giving garlic to them again. Hopefully they are ok. Thank you.

Wow, well they just had a few small cloves to themselves. They loved it, but won't be giving garlic to them again. Hopefully they are ok. Thank you.

If you fed them a small amount they should be fine, just monitor them closely for a while, looking for signs of lethargy, weakness, etc. Just as a future note, regardless of how many people you see recommending "natural dewormers" look into them a bit more, and try to find scientific studies backing their efficiency. In almost all cases, you'll find none, just pure anecdotal stories with no proof. If you are interested in seeing how many worm eggs are in your bird's feces, grab a few birds poop sample, mix them together, and send them to your vet, or a veterinary diagnostic center that will preform a fecal flotation.

https://avianexoticsvet.com/10-everyday-items-that-are-toxic-to-birds/#:~:text=5.,geese and other pet birds.
Can we see the original papers supporting these findings? It is very likely birds differ greatly by species with respect to toxins derived from plants and other toxins.

Can we see the original papers supporting these findings? It is very likely birds differ greatly by species with respect to toxins derived from plants and other toxins.

I do believe I remember reading literature regarding a Parrot being fed a fairly large clove of garlic, and later died after ingestion, and post-Morten finding supported this claim(I'll look for it). Of, course, this is a Parrot and not a Chicken, but as of now, there are little studies done regarding the negative effects garlic may have on poultry. Am I extrapolating studies/case's done on parrots into chickens (?) I sure am, but I don't see the reason why we're going out of arm-lengths to feed something that has been know to cause deaths in birds, dogs, cats, cattle, etc.

I'm not a veterinary toxicologist, but I do practice more than several hematologic tests around here, so I do have a fairly clear understanding regarding avian blood.

1601519675170.png

(As shown in the picture above, which is a blood smear I preformed on an ill duck) Birds have vastly different RBC, and WBC cytoplasmic structure, than other mammals, and humans. Some studies suggest since birds have an inner nucleus in their cells, this protects them from some of the sulfuric compounds of garlic, but to my knowledge, the effects haven't been studied thoroughly. So as of now, I'm going to play it on the safe side, and stay away from garlic, or onions for that matter.

Chickens eats some nasty stuff in nature, very different from the nasty stuff some parrots naturally eat. Morphology of RBC's and WBC's may not be the real cause of sensitivity. The two groups are also not closely related. I am not going to say stay away or to use. Based on information available I am going to say we do not know. Same reasoning could be used to not let my chickens eat insects because some might be toxic.

Chickens eats some nasty stuff in nature, very different from the nasty stuff some parrots naturally eat. Morphology of RBC's and WBC's may not be the real cause of sensitivity. The two groups are also not closely related. I am not going to say stay away or to use. Based on information available I am going to say we do not know. Same reasoning could be used to not let my chickens eat insects because some might be toxic.

Do understand, in most pharmacology veterinary literature books, very few times do they specify what exact species it is toxic to. Most of the time, specific classification is broad, and only labeled as " Toxic to birds'. Avian medicine is still an ever-developing field, therefore few studies can be done to classify which birds, may be resistant to what, and what arent. I have actually taken great interest in this topic the past few months, and have spoken to several veterinarians, specialized in birds/poultry, all seem to recommend generally staying away from Garlic, to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom