Garlic

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by worms7, Jan 7, 2017.

1. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    Is garlic better than Apple cider vinegar for the general health of
    Your birds also can i put a full bulb of garlic in 20 litre of water
    Cheers Phil

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  2. Tillicans

Tillicans Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    To me garlic acts as an anti-bacterial, so if it prevents getting worms then it would work as worms to me come from bacteria. If the gut is healthy then worms won't be there. Sounds simple but I don't think it's that complicated. Apple cider vinegar is also a preventative it helps to neutralise the gut. If you have worms you have to chemically remove them, so best not to get them in the first place.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Worms are not bacteria, they are helminths. Unless you keep birds, in a sterile environment from hatch until death then worms are perfectly normal - its worm overload that causes issues.

I have no opinion re: garlic v ACV.

4. junkman56

junkman56 Chillin' With My Peeps

I give my chickens 1 tbsp of ACV per gal of water a couple times a week

also I add two crushed cloves of garlic once a month to their water

and I add brewers yeast and garlic to their feed daily,

5. Tillicans

Tillicans Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Garlics antimicrobial attributes have the ability to kill bacteria,viruses,fungi,mold and parasites according to Susan Burke a Herbalist. She also says it is used as a preventative care and treatments of various ailments such as internal parasites, respiratory illness, wounds, bumble foot and crop problems.
    Check out the link below. I'm willing to try anything apart from chemicals if I can help it. Sometimes we need the chemicals, but I'd prefer not to if I have an alternative. It's interesting reading.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/05/raising-chickens-naturally-garlic-with.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by