garlic

Here's something I posted about 2 weeks ago.

I'm continuing to give the pullets about one-half teaspoon of garlic powder in every 2 cups of feed. It looks like I'm going to be able to dose about 40 pounds of feed with my 3.1 ounce bottle of garlic. That is considerably, considerably, considerably less than what the Clemson researchers used. Three percent garlic in the Clemson feed is just an AMAZING amount!! I'd think that things would smell of garlic for a country mile!

The coop doesn't smell wonderful and it doesn't smell like a pizzeria but there's a definite fragrance of garlic there. After all, they have feed free-choice and I can smell the garlic in their feed when I'm close by. I suspect that after eating garlic in every bite of feed for over 4 weeks and if I picked one up and sniffed at it - these pullets would smell of garlic, themselves
big_smile.png
!

Honestly, I was unhappy with the coop smell about month ago but have had little reason to complain lately. It seems to have worked!

My little experiment wasn't to test the flavor of eggs. I have no adult hens right now and the weather will have cooled and odors mitigated by the time these youngster begin to lay. Still, I have often given my laying hens onions from the kitchen and never detected an off flavor to their eggs. Of course, onions aren't garlic.

Steve

Hmmmmmmmmm I might have to try this, my horse and goat eat garlic - I have dried garlic crumbles for them, its expensive for sure. Costs me around $20 a month for them, the horse gets one scoop and the goat half scoop (the scoop is about 2Tablespoon size.

Good to hear about this. I grew about 100 bulbs of garlic last year and will be starting perhaps twice that much this fall. I had "cull" bulbs this year that I didn't know what to do with - they were too small for storing, not "pretty" enough to give away, and the cloves were too small to mess with for personal cooking. They went into the compost pile, as I didn't have chickens then. I know what I am going to do with next year's garlic "culls." So glad I found the BackYard Chicken Forum!

Back
Top Bottom