Gasping chick *PLEASE HELP*

Peep Talk

Songster
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Fort Loudon, PA
I have a chick that is approximately 2-3 weeks old making a gasping motion. She is sneezing a bit, and just opening her beak like she is trying to get more air. She is breathing and peeping, but her peeps are muffled unless I ruffle her up a good bit and then she makes normal level noises. What could be wrong with her? Any home remedies? They are on medicated chick starter and get fresh water constantly. Help please!
hit.gif

No help here... just lost one last week... but a bump to the thread in hopes someone comes along

sounds like something viral. I have never had to treat this but its discusses a good bit on the forums. You might repost something similar under raising baby birds. Is it on medicated feed? Do you have it separated from the other chicks? Do a search on antibiotics and see what others have posted, you might even try the whole apple cider vinegar thing. Seems to be the cure all for everything. If it were me I would probably get some of the powdered anitibiotic and give it that in its water. If it gets too listless maybe a little sugar to up its energy to fight this thing off. I have more experience with geese and ducks so hopefully some experienced chicken people will reply soon.

I had this with a few of my chicks... sorry... it will die. I so very sorry to tell you that. I am pretty sure that it is from eating the litter... if you use cedar shavings... or pine...any wood shavings- they will eat it. It becomes lodged in their throat. Someone told me apple cider vinegar will soften the wood fibers... but that did no good for the chick. I am so sorry... I know you feel helpless. If you have it in you, cull it. If not... your going to have to let nature take over. I stopped using shavings all
together in the brooder. Paper towels are your best bet.

I read this from an earlier post and I would be curious what those with more experience think. If it is indead shavings lodged in its thoat would oil help lubricate this enough to let it pass? Someone mentioned a hen who was whooping and coughing and they gave it bread soaked with oil and it fixed the problem. It works in dogs and cats and from the post on hens but just not sure on chicks.

It still could be viral though so I would make sure you separate it. I would still try the vinegar. If its alive in the morning I would attempt antibiotics in the water.

I do have them on medicated feed and currently have the little girl in her own house.

As for eating the bedding, it is highly unlikely since she is on paper towels.
sad.png

I did see where a lot of people say to use apple cider vinegar in their water, so I did give that to her. She still drinks but she has absolutely nothing that I can feel in her crop. Everyone else has a full crop, but hers is nowhere to be felt.
sad.png

I have it in me to cull a chick if need be, but I do believe in giving them a fighting chance first. If I feel that she isn't getting any better, I will do the deed.
hit.gif

Thank you all for your helpful advice! If anyone thinks of anything else, please help! This is only my second set of chicks this year, even ever so I hate feeling like it could be my fault.
hu.gif

Its not your fault, sometimes it just happens. You sound like you are doing what you can and trying to pull her through it. Thats all you can do. I would be so tempted to pull out the home remedies I use on the kiddies and try it on one that is not looking like it will make it. We need a chicken herbalist on here.

Thank you HeatherLynn. It just really bums me out being so helpless. As for the chicken herbalist...I would try anything that would help! I just hope that she gets better. My 13 year old daughter just checked on her to tell her goodnight and apparently she is resting and not gasping...I hope she is just resting. I can't bring myself to look.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom