GASPING for breath?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tropical Chickies, May 11, 2010.

1. Tropical Chickies

Tropical Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    My BO that has been sick, possible Marek's or Coccidosis, is now gasping for breath possibly

Not 100% sure this means she is gasping for breath, but her mouth is opening and closing frequently...every few seconds.

Anyone what I should do?

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Have you explored the possibility of Gape Worm?

Try a search for info on that and see if it sounds like what she is doing.

Poor mama hen!

3. babsbag

babsbag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    Anderson, CA
    FLChick, Mine did that towards the end [​IMG] [​IMG]

I too thought one last ditch effort and treated her for gape worm, even though I doubted that was what she had. She was gone the next morning. I almost think that the worming may have hastened the inevitable.

I am so very very sorry.

4. Tangerine farmer

Tangerine farmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2010
    Ventura CA
    I tried antibiotics.. duramycin is cheap and avail at the feed store(I don't recall the dose, it's here in "search". I added to the water, and food (from the water).. and if they have a bad disease (Coryza) then go with Sulmet (which I could get from another store, but other posters prefer Corrid, say it's easier on them and better... I have no idea, as I didn't have quick local access to it)

I figure that they need quick help with breathing and get it into their mouth with a syringe or dropper. The tricky part for me is not to drown them with their antibiotic syringe water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by