Gastric bypass / Lap band...has anyone had it done?**update post 106**

Quote:
Yes, 70% failure still leaves 30% success. Not a great rate if you ask me. My best friend had gastric bypass about 5 years ago. She got to a size 10 (She is 5'8), and is now a 14. She is happy with that. The only thing I don't like about after surgery is the food restrictions I hear her complain about. I am not heavy enough to qualify, but I don't think I would do either one unless it would solve major health issues. Even 40 lbs ago,I was told I wasn't heavy enough. Good LORD I wore a 24!!!!! How fat does one need to be??
lol.png

35 - 40 BMI

Mine was 41, but I didn't weigh enough? Sounds so stupid, but I am glad I didn't do it. Now I am, because I have managed to lose it on my own. I still have about 40 lbs to get rid of, but I am managing!!!

Quote:
35 - 40 BMI

Mine was 41, but I didn't weigh enough? Sounds so stupid, but I am glad I didn't do it. Now I am, because I have managed to lose it on my own. I still have about 40 lbs to get rid of, but I am managing!!!

in Ontario we need to have a BMI of 35 and co-morbidities like type 2 diabetes or sleep apnea .. or have a BMI of 40 and healthy..

I have not known of a single real success with the lap band procedure and I know of a couple of deaths. I'm an RN and work in a surgery center. Our hospital actually chose not to allow this procedure to be done in our facility any longer. It was just not worth the risks according to them. I lost my weight, I have to say I was was not morbidly obese, using the HCG diet. One of our surgeons did it and he did fantastic. His wife is also a Dr. and she did it as well and sells and promotes the diet now. I lost 30 pounds in 40 days, then later, another 10 pounds in 21 days. I have to say that the original diet and plan is the "ONLY" way to do it and the phase 1, 2 and 3 are not just important but they are essential to a good outcome. During this diet, I learned more than I ever thought I could about a healthy diet and how certain foods affected "me". We are all individual. If lap banding worked for you, I am very happy to hear it. It's not the case for so many others. The band can slip, people can find ways "around" it to over eat, there are definitely some health issues that are "expected" with this surgery and some cannot be reversed. I haven't read all of the posts, but I do hope it worked for you. I'd like to hear that there is someone out there that found it to work for them.

We are all individuals, we all react differently to different foods, diets etc. Finding what works best for each person seems so reasonable yet so hard to figure out sometimes. I hope you all find your way to better health, best wishes
Cathy

Quote:
hey red.. they may not remove anything... there are different procedures.. the standard here in canada is called the RNY.. the stomach is left in.. but it is called a blind stomach... with the VSG the stomach is just partitioned and made smaller so for this one they do remove a bit but this one is done lengthwise...

80% of people that have the band will have it removed within 5 years... 70% of people tho have the band will have problems with it slipping and "rolling" requiring other surgery to correct (this is when a lot have it removed) .. The insurance in Ontario does not cover the band because of this.

I am still in my waiting list for this.. In ontario we have wait times from 8 months to 18 months for this surgery.. sadly my closest hospital is the 18 month mark. but my time should come before christmas

This September will be 8 years that I have had my band and the only small issue I had was a flipped port early on.
smile.png
I go yearly for check-ups and knock on wood everything is fine. Maybe I'm one of the few that have had good luck.

I also would never recommend one WLS over another as every person is different and I feel that it is their choice as to what one they want. I will give them my experiance.

Here is a list of all the different WLS that I am aware of. They all have thier pros and cons and if a patient doesn't listen to their doctor I don't care what surgery one has they will end up back at square one or pretty close to it.

Types of Weight Loss Surgeries
There are several types of restrictive and combined operations that lead to rapid weight loss. Each one has its own benefits and risks.

Restrictive Weight Loss Surgeries

Purely restrictive operations only limit food intake and do not interfere with the normal digestive process. To perform the operation, doctors create a small pouch at the top of the stomach where food enters from the esophagus. At first, the pouch holds about 1 ounce of food and later may stretch to 2-3 ounces. The lower outlet of the pouch is usually about ¾ inch in diameter or smaller. This small outlet delays the emptying of food from the pouch into the larger part of the stomach and causes a feeling of fullness, thus resulting in rapid weight loss in most patients.

After the operation, patients can no longer eat large amounts of food at one time. Most patients can eat about ¾ to 1 cup of food without discomfort or nausea, but the food has to be soft, moist, and well chewed. Patients who undergo restrictive procedures generally are not able to eat as much as those who have combined operations.

1. Adjustable Gastric Banding (also known as the LAP-BAND) In this procedure, a hollow band made of silicone rubber is placed around the stomach near its upper end, creating a small pouch and a narrow passage into the rest of the stomach. The band is then inflated with a salt solution through a tube that connects the band to an access port placed under the skin. It can be tightened or loosened over time to change the size of the passage by increasing or decreasing the amount of salt solution.

Advantages of this weight loss surgery:

Simple and relatively safe
Short recovery period
Major complication rate is low
No removal of any part of the stomach or intestines
No altering of the natural anatomy
Very short recovery periods
Disadvantages of this weight loss surgery:

About 5% failure rate because of
Balloon leakage
Band erosion/migration
Deep infection
Identifying patients who will not eat through the operation is difficult
For additional support and information about this surgery visit the Lap-Band? Forum

2.Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (also called vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, Greater Curvature Gastrectomy, Parietal Gastrectomy, Gastric Reduction and even Vertical Gastroplasty) is performed by approximately 15 surgeons worldwide. The originally procedure, conceived by Dr. D Johnston in England, was called The Magenstrasse and Mill Operation. It generates rapid weight loss by restricting the amount of food that can be eaten (removal of stomach or vertical gastrectomy) without any bypass of the intestines or malabsorption. The stomach pouch is usually made smaller than the pouch used in the Duodenal Switch.

Stomach volume is reduced, but it tends to function normally so most food items can be consumed in small amounts.
Eliminates the portion of the stomach that produces the hormones that stimulates hunger (Ghrelin).
No dumping syndrome because the pylorus is preserved.
Minimizes the chance of an ulcer occurring.
By avoiding the intestinal bypass, the chance of intestinal obstruction (blockage), anemia, osteoporosis, protein deficiency and vitamin deficiency are almost eliminated.
Very effective as a first stage procedure for high BMI patients (BMI >55 kg/m2).
Limited results appear promising as a single stage procedure for low BMI patients (BMI 35-45 kg/m2).
Appealing option for people with existing anemia, Crohn's disease and numerous other conditions that make them too high risk for intestinal bypass procedures.
Can be done laparoscopically in patients weighing more than 500 pounds

Potential for inadequate weight loss or weight regain. While true for all procedures, it is theoretically more possible with procedures without intestinal bypass.
Higher BMI patients will may need to have a second stage procedure later to help lose all of their excess weight. Two stages may ultimately be safer and more effective than one operation for high BMI patients. This is an active point of discussion for bariatric surgeons.
Soft calories from ice cream, milk shakes, etc., can be absorbed and may slow weight loss.
This procedure does involve stomach stapling and therefore leaks and other complications related to stapling may occur.
Because the stomach is removed, it is not reversible. It can be converted to almost any other weight loss procedure.
Considered investigational by some surgeons and insurance companies.
For additional support and information about this surgery visit the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum

3. Vertical Banded Gastroplasty (VBG) (see figure 3) VBG uses both a band and staples to create a small stomach pouch, resulting in quick weight loss. Once the most common restrictive operation, VBG is not often used today.

completely reversible
body anatomy is left intact
no dumping syndrome
no nutritional deficiencies

needs strict patient compliance to diet
no malabsorption
vomiting if food is not properly chewed or if food is eaten too quickly
For additional support and information about this surgery visit the Vertical Banding Forum

Advantages/Disadvantages Overview

Advantages: Restrictive weight loss surgeries are easier to perform and are generally safer than malabsorptive operations. AGB is usually done via laparoscopy, which uses smaller incisions, creates less tissue damage, and involves shorter operating time and hospital stays than open procedures. Restrictive weight loss surgeries can be reversed if necessary, and result in few nutritional deficiencies.

Disadvantages: Patients who undergo restrictive weight loss surgeries generally lose less weight than patients who have malabsorptive operations, and are less likely to maintain weight loss over the long term. Patients generally lose about half of their excess body weight in the first year after restrictive procedures. However, in the first 3 to 5 years after VBG patients may regain some of the weight they lost. By 10 years, as few as 20 percent of patients have kept the weight off. (Although there is less information about long-term results with AGB, there is some evidence that weight loss results are better than with VBG.) Some patients regain weight by eating high-calorie soft foods that easily pass through the opening to the stomach. Others are unable to change their eating habits and do not lose much weight to begin with. Successful results depend on the patient's willingness to adopt a long-term plan of healthy eating and regular physical activity.

Risks: One of the most common risks of restrictive operations is vomiting, which occurs when the patient eats too much or the narrow passage into the larger part of the stomach is blocked. Another is slippage or wearing away of the band. A common risk of AGB is breaks in the tubing between the band and the access port. This can cause the salt solution to leak, requiring another operation to repair. Some patients experience infections and bleeding, but this is much less common than other risks. Between 15 and 20 percent of VBG patients may have to undergo a second operation for a problem related to the procedure. Although restrictive operations are the safest of the bariatric procedures, they still carry risk in less than 1 percent of all cases, complications can result in death.

Because combined weight loss surgeries result in greater weight loss than restrictive operations, they may also be more effective in improving the health problems associated with severe obesity, such as hypertension (high blood pressure), sleep apnea, type 2 diabetes, and osteoarthritis.

Combined Restrictive/Malabsorptive Weight Loss Surgeries
Combined operations are the most common bariatric procedures. They restrict both food intake and the amount of calories and nutrients the body absorbs.

1. Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass (RGB)This operation is the most common and successful combined weight loss surgery in the United States. First, the surgeon creates a small stomach pouch to restrict food intake. Next, a Y-shaped section of the small intestine is attached to the pouch to allow food to bypass the lower stomach, the duodenum (the first segment of the small intestine), and the first portion of the jejunum (the second segment of the small intestine). This reduces the amount of calories and nutrients the body absorbs. Rarely, a cholecystectomy (gall bladder removal) is performed to avoid the gallstones that may result from rapid weight loss. More commonly, patients take medication after the operation to dissolve gallstones.

greatly controls food intake, leading to rapid weight loss
dumping syndrome dumping conditions to control intake of sweets
reversible in an emergency though this procedure should be thought of as a permanent

staple line failure
ulcers
narrowing/blockage of the stoma
vomiting if food is not properly chewed or if food is eaten to quickly
weight re-gain is known to happen if dietary changes are not followed long term

Note (figure 4): This is the RNY without the stomach being transected or divided. This type RNY is not widely done anymore. Most surgeon perform the RNY with the stomach divided with no staple line. Transected means: stomach is completely separated from the new stomach

2. Duodenal Switch (also called vertical gastrectomy with duodenal switch, biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch, DS or BPD-DS) is performed by approximately 50 surgeons worldwide. It generates weight loss by restricting the amount of food that can be eaten (partial gastrectomy (i.e., partial removal of the stomach along the outer curvature see diagram) and by limiting the amount of food (specifically fat) that is absorbed into the body (intestinal bypass or duodenal switch). This weight loss surgery is more controversial because it has a significant component of malabsorption (bypass of the intestinal tract), which seems to augment and help maintain long-term weight loss. Of the procedures currently performed for the treatment of obesity, it has some powerful and effective components. Due to concerns of possible long-term effects of malabsorption and the technical difficulty involved with this type of weight loss surgery, many surgeons don't perform it.

More normal stomach allows for better eating quality, drink with meals
No dumping syndrome because the pylorus is preserved
Minimizes ulcer risk
Very effective for high BMI patients (BMI>55 kg/m2), but can be done on lower BMI just as effectively
The intestinal bypass is partially reversible for those having malabsorptive complications
Laparoscopic approach is offered by some surgeons

Chance of chronic diarrhea, possibly more foul smelling stools and gas. This can be due to dieting intake, but for the most part controlled.
Malabsorption can lead to anemia, protein deficiency and metabolic bone disease in up to 5 percent of patients
Carbohydrates can be well absorbed and if eaten in significant quantities lead to inadequate weight loss
This procedure is the most complex surgical weight loss procedure. As with any of the surgeries listed complications can occur in high risk patients.(heart failure, sleep apnea)
For additional support and information on this surgery visit the Duodenal Switch Forum

To locate a Duodenal Switch surgeon in your area click here

3. Biliopancreatic Diversion (BPD) In this more complicated combined weight loss surgery, the lower portion of the stomach is removed. The small pouch that remains is connected directly to the final segment of the small intestine, completely bypassing the duodenum and the jejunum. Although this procedure leads to weight loss, it is used less often than other types of operations because of the high risk for nutritional deficiencies. This surgery is not commonly done anymore.

significant malabsorptive component
better chance of sustained weight loss
ability to eat larger quantities of food and still loose weight

greater chance of chronic diarrhea, stomal ulcers, more foul smelling stools and flatus
higher risk of nutritional deficiencies
higher chance of micro-nutrient deficiencies such as vitamins and calcium
Advantages/Disadvantages Overview

Advantages: Most patients lose weight quickly and continue to lose for 18 to 24 months after the procedure. With the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, many patients maintain a weight loss of 60 to 70 percent of their excess weight for 10 years or more. With BPD/DS, most studies report an average weight loss of 75 to 80 percent of excess weight. Because combined operations result in greater weight loss than restrictive operations, they may also be more effective in improving the health problems associated with severe obesity, such as hypertension (high blood pressure), sleep apnea, type 2 diabetes, and osteoarthritis.
Disadvantages: Combined procedures are more difficult to perform than the restrictive procedures. Such weight loss surgeries are also more likely to result in long-term nutritional deficiencies. This is because these weight loss surgeries causes food to bypass the duodenum and jejunum, where most iron and calcium are absorbed.

Menstruating women may develop anemia because not enough vitamin B12 and iron are absorbed. Decreased absorption of calcium may also bring on osteoporosis and related bone diseases. Patients must take nutritional supplements that usually prevent these deficiencies. Patients who have the biliopancreatic diversion procedure must also take fat-soluble (dissolved by fat) vitamins A, D, E, and K supplements.

RGB and BPD operations may also cause “dumping syndrome,” an unpleasant reaction that can occur after a meal high in simple carbohydrates, which contain sugars that are rapidly absorbed by the body. Stomach contents move too quickly through the small intestine, causing symptoms such as nausea, bloating, abdominal pain, weakness, sweating, faintness, and sometimes diarrhea after eating. Because the duodenal switch operation keeps the pyloric valve intact, it reduces the likelihood of dumping syndrome.

Risks with these weight loss surgery procedurs:In addition to risks associated with restrictive procedures such as infection, combined operations are more likely to lead to complications. Combined operations carry a greater risk than restrictive operations for abdominal hernias (up to 28 percent), which require a follow-up operation to correct. The risk of hernia, however, is lower (about 3 percent) when laparoscopic techniques are used.

As with any surgery, there can be complications. This list can include:

Deep vein thrombophlebitis

Non-fatal pulmonary embolus

Pneumonia

Acute respiratory distress syndrome

Splenectomy

Gastric leak and fistula

Duodenal leak

Distal Roux-en-Y leak

Postoperative bleeding

Duodenal stomal obstruction

Small bowel obstruction

Death

Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery
In laparoscopy, the surgeon makes one or more small incisions through which slender surgical instruments are passed. This technique eliminates the need for a large incision and creates less tissue damage. Patients who are super-obese (more than 350 pounds) or have had previous abdominal operations may not be good candidates for laparoscopy, however. Adjustable gastric banding is routinely performed via laparoscopy.

This technique is often used for Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, and although less common, biliopancreatic diversion can also be performed laparoscopically. The small incisions result in less blood loss, shorter hospitalization, a faster recovery, and fewer complications than open operations. However, combined laparoscopic procedures are more difficult to perform than open procedures and can create serious problems if done incorrectly.

This thread makes me want to cry. I am in my late 40's and obese. Never had a real weight problem (I was even a weight loss counselor at one time) until my mid to late 30's when I had 2 miscarriages, an ectopic pregnancy and a fetal demise when I was 6 months pregnant. It was as though my body never got over the loss. Of course, I ate through the depression as well and have a tendency to abuse my body with food (a vicious cycle.) Four car accidents in one year and chronic back pain took a toll on my activity level. Excuses, Excuses, Excuses... unemployment, no medical insurance, need a hysterectomy, etc. More excuses... I have had MANY tragic events in my life so far, and am thankful that the Lord has carried my through. I have to face reality every time I get in front of a mirror... I let myself go. No one is to blame but me.

I have been considering the lap band surgery, knowing that the most important thing is to permanently change my lifestyle. I will be keeping an eye on this thread to hear more discussion about this procedure and other people's thoughts.

Yes, but the Dr. was more concerned about me needing either monthly blood transfusions or a hysterectomy for severe anemia. Then my DH and I got laid off and had no medical insurance for that past 3 years.

One of my moms neighbors had it done and she lost more than half her original body mass and looks great. She said the only thing she had to watch was her protein intake, she has to supplement it with special shakes.

However, I sell health insurance in MA, and I had a member call one day looking to change her plan because she had had the surgery done,, then switched to a less "rich" plan. The the band "slipped" She hadnt started gaining weight back, but was "uncomfortable" and concerned. And she was also having a hard time finding a doctor that would go in and fix it. Her original doctor, for some reason would not. Not sure if it had to do with her health plan at that time.

I have considered having it done myself. I seem to have hit a plateau weight.
hmm.png
My strength is up. My clothes are fitting better. But I want to loose the "bulk" and such. However, my current health coverage does not cover bypass or such surgery. And picking up my own plan under my job.. which does cover it. Isnt an option due to cost and restrictions with MA on plan moves.
roll.png
Plus. I love food. And seriously NOT being able to eat some of the things I love will drive me nuts. And the restrictions are pretty deep. So I will continue to walk, increase my jogging
tongue.png
time/length and keep trying to watch my food intake. It's coming off... slowly... but at 41 its harder.

Rhett&SarahsMom :

I have considered having it done myself. I seem to have hit a plateau weight.
hmm.png
My strength is up. My clothes are fitting better. But I want to loose the "bulk" and such. However, my current health coverage does not cover bypass or such surgery. And picking up my own plan under my job.. which does cover it. Isnt an option due to cost and restrictions with MA on plan moves.
roll.png
Plus. I love food. And seriously NOT being able to eat some of the things I love will drive me nuts. And the restrictions are pretty deep. So I will continue to walk, increase my jogging
tongue.png
time/length and keep trying to watch my food intake. It's coming off... slowly... but at 41 its harder.

It sounds like what you are doing is working for you, albeit slowly but surely. Good job, and keep up the good work!
smile.png

The important thing is that you feel better and your health is improved. Whether you have a Lap Band or roux-en-Y gastric bypass or go to Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers (BTW, a lot of gastric bypass patients maintain their weight loss using WW--it's a really nutritionally sound plan), or whether you just try to eat fewer calories and increase your activity, whatever tool you choose, choose the one that's right for you. Some things work better than others for some folks. One thing that does work well is portion control. If you can wrap your head around portion control, you can eat a wider variety of foods and satisfy your palate a little bit more.

edited for typos

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom