Gastric bypass / Lap band...has anyone had it done?**update post 106**

Quote:
I hate waiting..
barnie.gif
he.gif

I know the wait is really, really frustrating. I was 10 months from referral to surgery, and that was frustrating enough! It seemed like FOREVER, but in the end, it has been completely worth it. The "wait time" gave me the opportunity to really get educated about not only bariatric surgery but obesity in general--learned a lot of things to help me stay on track. I do NOT want to go back there. You never know how sick you really are or how bad you really feel until the weight is gone. I think it's not just having the weight gone that helps me feel better now, though. I think it's because of the healthier food choices and more active life I have now. I think the weight loss is fueled by the healthier food choices and activities, and the desire to make the healthier food choices and be active are fueled by the weight loss. I think that happens with pretty much any weight loss program you chose.

If you are waiting for surgery, find gastric bypass support groups in your area. The support of others is very important to long-term success. There's also a lot of assistance and support on obesityhelp.com, and also do a google search for a blog belonging to "The World According To Eggface". She has AMAZING recipes for anyone that wants to eat healthier and lose weight, though 99% of her site is specifically geared toward the dietary needs of people who have had some type of bariatric surgery. Either way, she gives great food choices & I love love LOVE her recipes.

well heres the latest update.....

Had my first round of appointment's with the social worker, the dietitician, and the nurse..

the Nurse came first, she took my vitals and talked about the surgery no fuss no muss no fluff loved it! straight forward and to the point!

the dietitian came second. She was really surprised at what I have been able to do on my own. cut all caffeine, cut all soda, tracked eating habits to see what kind of eater I am, I am a boredom eater, nurse said that was another form of emotional eater but the dietician disagrees because I dont get comfort or satisfaction from it. The dietitian had a few suggestions for me and sent me on my way

the social worker .. I was with her for about an hour and she signed off on my srgery right there.. I dont need to go see her again.

I will need to see the nurse and the dietitician again on Sept 6 just to track progress and to go through some more food logs, go through the blood test results and then I should be off to nutrition class and then to the surgeon

I think I am going to check out the free informational seminar that they have at our local hospital on Weight Loss Surgery. It's a starting point at least.

Quote:
the first step is always the hardest...

if you ever want to talk about it off the main forum just drop me a line.

The only three people I know IRL that have had it done all had complications, some worse than others, which is what has kept me from seriously considering it. I'll spare you the details and just say that I hope Feb. comes quickly for you and I'll be praying that you experience NOTHING that they did. Best of luck!
smile.png

There are complications and risks with everything. I think the number in ontario is 1:2000 DIE. Out of those 2000 1500 could have been prevented by following the rules.

I would risk it all just to have a normal life again. Simple things like cutting your own toe nails again. Now there's a goal! Lol.

Dar it sounds like everything is going smoothly, slowly, but in the right direction
smile.png
I am so happy for you. I am here with hugs, well wishes and all the support possible
hugs.gif

You will be so glad when you can do simple things again. I remember the first time I polished my own toenails after I'd lost enough weight to cut & paint my own toenails and shave my own legs... I stood in the shower and cried. It's the little things that you don't realize you can't do until one day, you suddenly CAN do little mundane things you haven't done since you were a kid, IF even then!

And the exercise... OMG, it's so hard at first! If I could recommend ANYTHING to anyone, whether you're choosing bariatric surgery or more traditional methods of weight loss, start with doing 10 minutes a day of regular conscious breathing exercises. Seriously. Just breathe. Just sit (that's something we can all do!) and breathe, and feel the breath coming into your lungs, feel it going through your body. I promise you, it'll help you feel more like exercising. Start with what you can do... start small. Start SOMEWHERE. But breathe first. The rest will come.

Congratulations to Dar on your progress! Keep up the good work. And it IS hard work.... "other people" tend to think we resort to bariatric surgery because it's easy, but it's not easy.

I'm at the point now at 3 years postop where I need to maintain the lifestyle changes (which is why they give you all the classes) because I could easily gain my weight back. I can eat things now I haven't been able to eat in a long time... I could totally graze my way back up to 250 pounds if I don't get active again. I've gained about 10 pounds, am up to 136. My "base weight" (where I look/feel my best) has so far been about 125. But because I have these tools, I will be able to get back to my base weight in probably 2-3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom