Gastric bypass / Lap band...has anyone had it done?**update post 106**

It sounds like you have a good team of doctors.

Best of luck to you.
thumbsup.gif

I had Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery a few years ago. I have used it as a tool to really get my health in order.

My body mass index has decreased from 47 to 23.

I have lost 130 pounds. I weigh less than half of my original weight.

I have gone from a size 24 to a size 6.

I love to work out, love the warm weather. I have a lot of excess skin but not as much as a lot of people, and I attribute it to exercise. I do not eat white carbs. I lead a very healthy lifestyle

My fasting blood sugar has gone from 101 to 65-70. My cholesterol has gone from the 220s to 105. I have a whole new love for food and a very good relationship with food. I am still a foodie & I make healthy, yummy, tasty choices.

BIGGEST DRAWBACK: I have absolutely ZERO tolerance for the cold since I had my surgery. Virtually 100% of the participants in my weight loss surgery support group have the same issues with the cold except for one guy who is an avid marathon runner and has packed on a lot of muscle to stay insulated.

Regrets? Not a one. Not even for a second. Well, okay, for about 10 minutes the first time I ate bread after surgery (DO NOT EAT BREAD AFTER SURGERY... THEY'RE NOT KIDDING WHEN THEY TELL YOU NOT TO EAT IT.)

Quote:
hide.gif
hubby has no idea why i really went to the doctors today, he thinks i went for the pain in my feet
hide.gif
... and it was for that too I have a MRI scheduled to make sure there is no tissue or other damage from all times I have broken my ankle and sprained my foot. My foot has been in so much pain lately its out of this world. I think its from being overweight my bones cant take it anymore.

when the surgery date is set I will tell hubby. I am doing that for a reason. every time i mention my weight he is like "you look fine" he wont try and talk me out of it but he wont encourage me either I will get.. "ok do what you want then if it will make you happy" .. so right now I am looking at it as there is nothing to tell yet... its all just consultations

cant wait for pics.. i was hoping he would fit into somethings before the season passed

Last edited:
You want answers go to www.obesityhelp.com Just a warning some are pretty harsh on the board. Go to the forums and look up lap-band. I've had mine in for almost 7 years. I have lost over 100lbs with about 50 more to go, but I'm lazy and don't always follow the band rules.
wink.png
I know of three others 2 had lap-band and the other had the bypass. The one with the bypass lost over 300lbs, but has had some serious issues. The 2 lapbanders have done fairly well losing most of their weight.

It also depends on your doctor/surgeon/bariatric team. I was fortunate in that I was part of a bariatric surgery program that involved psychological counseling, nutritional counseling, lifestyle management (both preop and postop), AND had to wait 8 months for the surgery. One of the most important components of having a successful bariatric surgery experirence is that you absolutley MUST have support in your life (those that have "complications" postop generally do not have much, if any, family support). The group I went to most likely wouldn't even consider performing such a life-changing surgery on a person who hadn't told their spouse yet.

Many people go into bariatric surgery thinking it's a quick fix; but in reality, it's only a tool, just like Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig... it's a tool, and there are ways to use it and ways not to use it. We all know someone who has had the surgery and gained the weight back--it's because they were not properly instructed in how to use the tool (95% of bariatric surgeons in this country perform the surgery without the appropriate education on how to use the gastric pouch as a tool). Eight years ago when my friend Cindy had her gastric bypass, they told her it's about a "10-year result" and that she should be able to keep her weight off about 10 years. That's bullarky... if you use the tool RIGHT, if you have a bariatric team instead of some surgeon who is scheduling people out of his office (he or she is just in it for the $$$$), your weight loss should be permanent.

I considered having the lap band before I had my gastric bypass, but I can tell you this. Through my bariatric support group, I probably know about a dozen people who've had lap band, none of whom have lost their weight or improved their health by much about 2 to 6 years postop. The program I was in also required that you lose 10% of your weight preop to decrease your chances of operative complications. You couldn't even SEE the surgeon until you'd met that goal, and they provided us with TONS of information, classes, and support. A lot of people balk at the idea of losing weight preop and say, "If I COULD lose weight, I wouldn't need the surgery." Bullarky! Everyone of us has lost and gained the same 100 pounds HOW many times in our lives??? We can lose it... we just can't keep it off without the aide of a good tool. Losing weight preop also shrinks your liver and makes it easier for them to get the trocar (surgical instrument) beneath your liver to lift it out of the way for your surgery. If the liver is too fatty, it just blobs around the trocar & then you are at risk for a liver tear, as the liver is the single-most vascular organ in the body and is really just a massive lump of blood vessels. Just imagine how much blood a person loses if their liver tears... it *can* be fatal.

The thing is, though, every single person I know who had lap band lost more weight preoperatively than they did postop. My friend, whom I will only call "T", had her surgery 5 months after I had mine, and she had the lap band. Here she is 2 years later and does not really look any different and lost weight more than 3 times faster on the preop plan than she has postop.

Even on the commercials, the people who've had the Lap Band are still very heavy 4 and 5 years postop.

I don't know anyone who has had lap band who is glad they did it. I know people who are "ok" with having had it done, but they're not happy with their outcome.

Also, think of this. Patients who have gastric bypass lose approixmately 70% of their excess weight within the first 2 years. With Lap Band, best you can hope for is 40-50% in 5 years. Based on those stats alone, I can't imagine why anyone would put their body through all that just to lose weight slower than they did on their own.

Over the past 10 years, much has been learned about gastric bypass, as well as other procedures that have developed such as the duodenal switch and the vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I too found much support and encouragement and a LOT of great info on obesityhelp.com.

My unsolicited advice is this: Would you really put your body through all the trouble of surgery and having the lap band put on only to lose 40-50% of your weight over 5 years? I mean, REALLY? I can't imagine why anyone would even consider the lap band (or Realize band... they make them in different brands now).

I use my gastric bypass pouch the way I was taught. I am a size 6 from a size 24 and have been at goal for more than a year. I am happy and healthy. I know lots of people who feel the same way. I do not know ANYONE who has had the lap band that is truly happy with their decision years later. And I am in support groups and personally know at least a dozen people who've had it. One lady at the hospital where I used to work told me she had it done and it took her SIX YEARS to lose 120 pounds and that she has regretted it since about 3 months after her surgery.

I confess, when I had my surgery, I did wake up with a feeling of, "Oh God, what have I done to my body?" What I have "done" is I have gifted myself with health and an active, vibrant lifestyle. I can participate in half-marathons, work out at the gym, or just roll around in the grass with my grandson & I don't get out of breath or anything. It has been an amazing journey and completely worth it. I do not know a single person who has had lap band that can say that.

Just... food for thought.
wink.png

Don't get me wrong I will tell him but right now there is nothing to tell I am in meetings and assessments once the doc says yes for sure then I will tell him. But right now there is nothing to tell

well I did it..... not not the surgery YET... but the ball is rolling ...

I told hubby and he is well i guess supportive... his response was.. "if this is what you want then go for it".. but thats his response to everything.. very low key

I went to the family doc and got that ball rolling. I am waiting for the sleep study. I dont know if everyone had to go through all the same steps that I am but I am kinda using this a journal and an "out" at the same time... but anyway... I have to do a sleep study to see if I have a sleep apnea.

I had to go for a blood test to see if there was a certain bacteria in my stomach. apparently its bad to have it well anyway I am negative

I also had to have an ultrasound of my stomach, AND an x-ray with contrast.. I almost vomited from the pressure of the fizzy stuff they use to inflate your stomach and the barium on top
sickbyc.gif

so now I have to wait till April 2011 for my first consultation with the team. Social workers, psychologists,dietitian, and surgical intern. I have noticed a big part of this is my support system. Every questionnaire I have done they ask about my support team. I have my husband, my friend most of my family (the ones that matter anyway) my employer is ready to have me on light duties for as long as I need to (because I am in home nursing light duties is not an issue). From the information package they sent me each person progresses through these steps at a different rate according to their mental status I guess, but I hope to have my surgery by this time next year.

My MIL, FIL and SIL have all had gastric bypass. FIL is back at his original weight and has been above it recently. Just one thing I wanted to say really. Make sure when you are cleared you walk around as much as you can. My SIL nearly died from blood clots, she didn't move around like they told her too and she smokes which made it alot worse. Sounds like you have the right attitude for it, hopefully it works out for you.
smile.png

I had gastric by pass March 14th 2006 - I have lost 158 pounds- I have no regrets about having the surgery -

It saved my life.

I suggest Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies - it is a wonderful book . Feel free to contact me with any questions or if you need support.

Allison

Dar all other things aside, surgery or no, I just wanted to say you are a beautiful person as you are. I will not comment much on the surgery as I am not particularly fond of the idea, and worry about anyone who gets it done. Worry as in, hope things go well etc. etc. I did just want to say that no matter the turnout, I like ya just the way you are
wink.png
Don't change on me, I like having someone to fuss with!
lol.png
Be safe, healthy, and be happy sis!! If you do go through with this, please follow Dr. orders, and stay as healthy as you can during the aftermath, the emotional toll is not something to take lightly, as I have personally seen a friend fall to pieces shortly afterward as well. She is fine now, but it did change her a bit. I will be supportive either way
smile.png
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom