Gates - how to electrify and apron?

EggyErin

Songster
12 Years
Apr 2, 2011
N. Ga mountains
We're making progress with our large chicken yard. All the posts are set and I'm about to get wire, etc. I'm going to have two gates: One 4' and one 6' (double gate). I'll be running electric wire, two strands, at the bottom and a short way up from there. There will be underground wiring at each gate to connect the fence line all the way around, however, this leaves the gates completely unprotected. Any ideas about that? Also, how do I apron at the gates?

FYI, I'm using welded wire with electric rope (elec. from PremierOne).

If I'm understanding your setup, you want to continue the hot wire across the gates instead of interrupting the two strands. They have insulated handles that you can bridge the gap with. I'm too cheap for one for each of my two strands, so I bring the two strands together at entrances and just use one handle. It's faster to unhook one than two, also. The first one is my main entrance to my run, and I have rubber coated hooks to hang the hook on when I'm going in and out and still want to keep the juice on. I've had bears sneak up on me while I'm inside the run.
P1010031.JPG
P1010032.JPG

Attachments

• P1010033.JPG
    P1010033.JPG
    427.2 KB · Views: 4
  • P1010037.JPG
    P1010037.JPG
    437.8 KB · Views: 4
With most gates, the assumption is it is a break or disruption in a long run. The intent being you want to continue a long run in a line past the gate. As an alternative, you can create two dead ends, but terminating at the gate. Each run stops at the edge of the gate? It need not continue on. So when you open the gate, wires remain hot on both sides. Gap may only be an inch or so.

As for apron under the gate, what is there now? If nothing, consider inserting something they can't dig under, like a piece of landscape timber, cement blocks, etc. Or simply bury a section of welded wire in the ground. Or do both. If the wire is hot directly above where the gate opens, they won't have much chance to dig or work it without getting zapped.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom